Can the Integral of csc2 be Simplified Using the Tabular Method?

• Thread starter himanshu121
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the problem is to find the integral of x^2*(cscx)^2 from 1 to pi. The straightforward way is probably the easiest, but it's not the shortest way. There are many ways of doing the problem, but the shortest way is not easy to find.
himanshu121
Here is the Problem:

[tex] \int_0^\pi\theta^2cosec^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

I want to do this problem by parts and finding hard to find shortest way to do the problem any shortest way pls

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The straightforward way is probably the easiest. integral of csc2 is -ctn and integral of ctn is log(sin). Integrating log(sin) may take a little work.

Originally posted by himanshu121
Here is the Problem:

[tex] \int_0^\pi\theta^2cosec^2\theta d\theta[/tex]

I want to do this problem by parts and finding hard to find shortest way to do the problem any shortest way pls

cos*sec^2(x) or cosx*sec^2(x)?

Originally posted by PrudensOptimus
cos*sec^2(x) or cosx*sec^2(x)?
Isn't it csc(x)?

It is cosecant(x) i.e csc(x)
Integrating log(sin) may take a little work

This is probably the easiest way of doing which i too have tried but it is not the shortest way

There are many ways of doing a problem i am looking for shortest way
Thnxs

How about:

[tex]
\begin{align*}
\int_0^\pi\theta^2\csc^2\theta\;d\theta
&=\int_0^1\theta^2\csc^2\theta\;d\theta+\int_1^\pi\theta^2\csc^2\theta\;d\theta \\
&>\int_0^1\theta^2\csc^2\theta\;d\theta+\int_1^\pi\csc^2\theta\;d\theta \\
&=\int_0^1\theta^2\csc^2\theta\;d\theta+\left[-\cot\theta\right]_1^\pi
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Now since [itex]\lim\limits_{\theta\rightarrow\pi}(-\cot\theta)=+\infty[/itex] we know that the rightmost term diverges. Moreover, the left integral (the one from 0 to 1) is clearly positive. Thus the original integral clearly diverges.

master_coda:
the integral of x^2*(cscx)^2 from 1 to pi comes out to be about 4.2
the integral of (cscx)^2 from 1 to pi goes to inifinite. I believe to say the integral of x^2*(cscx)^2 from 1 to pi is greater than the integral of (cscx)^2 from 1 to pi since according to the values it came out as then the formula should be switched around and divergence would not be proved.

himanshu121:
Best way to do it would be to plug it into a calculator or look it up in a table. Otherwise you're probably stuck with integrating log(sin(x)).

jk

Last edited:
Best way to do it would be to plug it into a calculator or look it up in a table

We are not allowed to use calculator in India till we are undergraduate
I found the way but don't know whether it is shortest one or not but definately i won't stuck at log(sinx)

[tex]

I = \int_0^\pi\theta^2\csc^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

[tex]I= \int_0^\pi\ (\pi-\theta)^2\csc^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

this gives

[tex] \pi\int_0^\pi\csc^2 \theta d\theta = 2\int_0^\pi\theta\csc^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

integrating by parts with one part as [tex]\theta[/tex] and other as [tex]\theta\csc^2\theta d\theta [/tex]

i will get[tex] \int_0^\pi \cot\theta d\theta = \log(csc\theta-cot\theta)
[/tex]

much easier than integrating log(sinx)

But another problem is how i will put the limits in cotx from 0 to pi in both cases it is infinity and i know there is no break in the function cotx b/w these points

Last edited:
I agree with master_coda...

the integral of x^2*(cscx)^2 from 1 to pi comes out to be about 4.2

Where did you come up with this?! My calculator says 3*10^14 with the caveat of "questionable accuracy" (though, 3*10^14 is a good approximation of infinity. :wink:)

Originally posted by Hurkyl
(though, 3*10^14 is a good approximation of infinity. :wink:)
Yes, for large values of 3*10^14.

- Warren

I'm pretty sure that the integral diverges. My algebra, my calculator and my computer all agree.

Also, if it's any help, [itex]\csc\theta-\cot\theta=\frac{1-\cos\theta}{\sin\theta}[/itex].

hurkyl. yeah that 4.2 was kinda off huh? just keeping you on your toes i guess:P i entered it in wrong but i redid it and came up with what you got.

i used u=(x^2)csc^2(x) and dv=dx and came up with the first term (x^3*csc^2(x)) going to infinite so i think you might be right coda.

jk

Last edited:
Why don't you try using the tabular method to doing this problem.
Since theta^2 will eventually go to zero if you keep on taking the derivatives, you should do it by tabular method

1. What is the integral of csc²?

The integral of csc² is equal to -ctn.

2. How do you solve for the integral of csc²?

To solve for the integral of csc², you can use the trigonometric identity csc²(x) = 1 + cot²(x) and then apply the power rule for integration.

3. Can the integral of csc² be simplified?

Yes, the integral of csc² can be simplified using the trigonometric identity csc²(x) = 1 + cot²(x) and then applying the power rule for integration.

4. Is there a specific range for the integral of csc²?

The integral of csc² does not have a specific range, as the function is defined for all real numbers except for multiples of pi.

5. How is the integral of csc² used in real-world applications?

The integral of csc² has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is used to solve problems involving periodic motion, such as calculating the work done by a pendulum or the displacement of a spring. It is also used in signal processing and in the study of electromagnetic waves.