Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #276 - Aug 15, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
For $p$ a prime integer, compute the order of the special linear group $SL_n(\Bbb F_p)$, where $\Bbb F_p$ is the field with $p$ elements.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week’s problem was solved correctly by Olinguito . You can read his solution below.

We first compute the order of the general linear group $\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)$.

The first column can be any $n\times1$ column vector except the zero vector and so there are $p^n-1$ choices for the first column. The second column can be any vector except a linear multiple of the first, giving $p^n-p$ choices for the second column. In general, the $i$th column can be any column vector except a linear combination of the first $i-1$; there are $p^{i-1}$ such linear combinations and so there are $p^n-p^{i-1}$ choices for the $i$th column. Hence we get $$\left|\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\right|\ =\ (p^n-1)(p^n-p)\cdots(p^n-p^{n-1}).$$
Next, consider the determinant function $\det:\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\to\mathbb F_p^\times$, the multiplicative group of the nonzero elements of $\mathbb F_p$. This function is surjective, for, given $a\in\mathbb F_p^\times$, if $A$ is the diagonal matrix with $(1,1)$th entry $a$ and all other entries on the leading diagonal $1$, then $\det(A)=a$. It is also a homomorphism by the multiplicative property of determinants. The kernel of this homomorphism is the group of all matrices with determinant $1$, namely $\mathrm{SL}_n(\mathbb F_p)$. Hence, we have
$$\mathrm{GL}_n(\mathbb F_p)/\mathrm{SL}_n(\mathbb F_p)\ \cong\ \mathbb F_p^\times$$
and so$$\left|\mathrm{SL}_n\left(\mathbb F_p\right)\right|\ =\ \frac{\left|\mathrm{GL}_n\left(\mathbb F_p\right)\right|}{\left|\mathbb F_p^\times\right|}\ =\ \frac{\displaystyle\prod_{i=0}^{n-1}\left(p^n-p^i\right)}{p-1}.$$

Status
Not open for further replies.