Is the FBI Going Too Far by Watching Eminem?

• News
  • Thread starter Shahil
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the controversy surrounding rapper Eminem's lyrics, in which he expresses a disdain for money and a desire for the president to be dead. The FBI has taken notice and is investigating the matter, causing some to question whether this is an overreaction and a form of censorship. Others argue that it is the FBI's duty to investigate any potential threats, regardless of the source.
Shahil
Are things going to far.

[?]

I just read in the newspaper that Eminem wrote this song saying something like (not sure if the lyrics are 100% right so forgive me!)

"I don't care about dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead."

Of course, he's referring to not rapping for money.

BUT

Apparently the FBI on on his case for being unpatriotic.

WTF?

Not that I like Eminem or anything (I really think he's not that grand and too monotonous but that's just a personal gripe).Too me, this censorship thing has gone a bit too far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Too me, this censorship thing has gone a bit too far.
Just want to make a (possibly pedantic) point...

This is not censorship.

do you have a link?

I've read something about this...who knows? I do know that Bush and Ashcroft are the sort of people who are incapable of seeing something like this as anything but a threat.

I find it absurd that the government will investigate eminem for that. I don't think this news is true or it would've been all over now. Do you have a link to the original news article.

Well, here's the archived story link from Drudge

linky But, I just have to say..that it's been policy to interview and investigate any threats...even those like this for as long as I can remember. At least back to Ford, and perhaps even back as far as Kennedy or further.

If you were to say that sort of thing publicly (or sing it), and maybe get lots of youngsters to repeatedly chant it as they walked about like brainwashed zombies, you should expect to raise a few eyebrows. It seems silly to expect that the FBI is going to be able to uncover a sinister plot behind any of this (could this guy actually be more than an orifice?), so what really does the FBI hope to accomplish?
Authority doesn’t like to be made fun of. I think all that will really come from it is to frighten others from speaking similar things in the future.

So the FBI is watching Eminem. Yay. At last he has an audience.

Originally posted by Adam
So the FBI is watching Eminem. Yay. At last he has an audience.

The FBI will no doubt purchase some of his albuns, listen to them forward and in reverse, and perhaps begin chanting like brainwashed zombies.

Originally posted by kat
Well, here's the archived story link from Drudge

linky But, I just have to say..that it's been policy to interview and investigate any threats...even those like this for as long as I can remember. At least back to Ford, and perhaps even back as far as Kennedy or further.

Thanks for the link. Eminem's talented but he's also an arrogant, pompous prick.
In a weird way, I feel good that he's being questioned.

Last edited:
They must have exhausted all other leads & jailed all the terrorists already to go after the white rapper.

1. Is Eminem really being watched by the FBI?

There is no concrete evidence to suggest that Eminem is being actively monitored by the FBI. However, being a high-profile celebrity and controversial figure, it is possible that he may have been under some level of surveillance in the past.

2. Why would the FBI be interested in Eminem?

Eminem's lyrics often touch on sensitive political and social issues, which can draw attention from government agencies. Additionally, his past struggles with drug addiction and his involvement in various legal disputes may also be reasons for the FBI's interest.

3. Has the FBI ever investigated Eminem?

There have been no confirmed reports of the FBI conducting an official investigation on Eminem. However, there have been rumors and allegations in the past, but none have been proven to be true.

4. Can the FBI monitor an artist's music and lyrics?

The FBI has the authority to investigate any potential threats to national security, which can include monitoring an artist's music and lyrics if they are deemed to be a potential threat. However, this would require a warrant and cannot be done without proper justification.

5. Is it common for the FBI to monitor celebrities?

The FBI may monitor certain high-profile individuals, including celebrities, if they are seen as potential threats or if their actions raise suspicions. However, this is not a common practice and is only done when there is a legitimate reason for concern.