Does the book have this wrong?

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, Shawn says that there is a problem with an odd number and that the book has the answer in the back. He broke the problem down into three parts and solved for the top four resistors in a parallel circuit. Adding the 1 resistor in series yielded the final answer of 4.55.
KingNothing
Hey everyone, this is a problem straight from my book. It's an odd number, so the book has the answer in the back: 4.7 ohms

The setup is near impossible to explain, so I've attached a diagram of the setup. Basically, it is a circuit with some resistors (represented by squiggly lines) each with R=2.8 kilo-ohms.

I came up with:
[tex]R=(\frac{1}{3*2.8}+\frac{1}{2*2.8}+\frac{1}{2.8})^-1+2.8=4.33\Omega[/tex]
The -1 right after the frist parentheses is a ^-1, it's kind of hard to tell.
Did I do it wrong? Is the book wrong? Is it just a case where they rounded and I didnt?

Attachments

• dia.bmp
    7.2 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the diagram you posted is correct? Your equation has 7 resistors but I see only 6 in the diagram.

Yes, I'm fully aware of that...you see, I figured that if it exits the smaller line there on the bottom, and travels up to the intersection, that if it took either of the two uppermost paths (speaking literally according to diagram) that it would have to pass through the upper resistor on the right side, so I accounted for that twice. What is the proper way to do this?

The two in the top left are in series, and are in parallel with the diagonal. That grouping is in series with the top one on the right. That whole grouping is in parallel with the middle one. Then that whole thing is in series with the bottom one on the right.

It certainly doesn't go through any resistor twice.

First I'd re-draw the diagram to make it less confusing. Then I think the solution is pretty easy. But I don't get your book's answer either. I get 4.55 [tex]\Omega[/tex]

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    684 bytes · Views: 428
I get 4.55

I broke it into 3 parts.
1. solve for 4 top resistors (as a parallel circuit)
2. solve for the middle resistor in parallel with the top 4
3. add the 1 resistor in series

Here is what the top 4 resistors are like, I think.

[tex]2.8 + [2.8^{-1} + [(2)(2.8)]^{-1}]^{-1}[/tex]

Now write that as A in your calculator. Trying to sub that into an even more complicated equation will just cause problems.

Now here is what the parallel portion of the entire circuit looks like

[tex][2.8^{-1} + A^{-1}]^{-1}[/tex]

Now add the series portion which is just 2.8

[tex]R = 2.8 + [2.8^{-1} + A^{-1}]^{-1}[/tex]

[tex]R = 4.55[/tex]

Thank you everyone...I can't tell you how relieving it is to see exactly what I did wrong. It's such a great feeling! Thank you a ton Shawn and enigma and gnome. I got 4.55 as well.

1. What should I do if I find a mistake in a book?

If you find a mistake in a book, the first thing you should do is double check the information to make sure it is actually incorrect. Then, you can reach out to the author or publisher of the book to inform them of the mistake. They may be able to make corrections in future editions or provide an updated version of the book.

2. How common are mistakes in books?

Mistakes in books are not very common, but they do happen occasionally. Most books go through a thorough editing and fact-checking process before being published, but human error can still occur. It's important to remember that no source is perfect and it's always a good idea to fact-check information from multiple sources.

3. Can a mistake in a book discredit the entire work?

It depends on the severity and impact of the mistake. Minor errors may not discredit the entire work, but if the mistake significantly affects the accuracy or credibility of the information presented, it can certainly call into question the overall validity of the book.

4. How can I tell if a book is reliable and accurate?

To determine the reliability and accuracy of a book, it's important to consider the credibility of the author and publisher, as well as the sources and evidence used to support the information presented. It's also helpful to read reviews and gather information from multiple sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the book.

5. Can I trust information from a book without fact-checking?

While books can be reliable sources of information, it's always a good idea to fact-check information before accepting it as truth. This is especially important in today's digital age where misinformation can easily spread. It's always better to verify information from multiple sources before using it in your own research or work.