Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #268 - Apr 03, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $D_n(t) = \sum\limits_{\lvert k\rvert \le n} e^{2\pi i kt}$ for $t\in [-.5, .5]$. Show that if $n \ge 2$, there are positive constants $A$ and $B$ independent of $n$, such that

$$A \le \frac{1}{\log n}\int_{-.5}^{.5} |D_n(t)|\, dt \le B$$

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Seeing that users are having some trouble, I’m giving another week for POTW submissions and corrections. You might find it useful to show first that $|D_n(t)|$ is bounded by a constant times the smaller of $n$ and $\lvert t\rvert^{-1}$ for all nonzero $t\in [-.5,.5]$.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Opalg gets honorable mention for his near perfect solution. Since his overall argument is solid, I’ll post his solution below. Just note that in fact, $D_n(t) = \sin[(2n+1)\pi t]/\sin(\pi t)$.

\(\displaystyle D_n(t) = \sum_{k=-n}^n e^{2\pi ikt}\) is a geometric series with sum $$\frac{e^{-2\pi int}(1 - e^{2\pi i(n+1)t})}{1 - e^{2\pi it}} = e^{-\pi i(2n-1)t}\frac{\sin(n+1)\pi t}{\sin\pi t}.$$ So \(\displaystyle |D_n(t)| = \frac{|\sin(n+1)\pi t|}{|\sin\pi t|}\), and $$\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}|D_n(t)|\,dt = \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}\frac{|\sin(n+1)\pi t|}{|\sin\pi t|}\,dt = 2\int_0^{1/2}\frac{|\sin(n+1)\pi t|}{\sin\pi t}\,dt.$$ On the interval $[0,1/2]$, $2t \leqslant \sin\pi t \leqslant \pi t$. It follows that \(\displaystyle \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}|D_n(t)|\,dt\) lies between two positive multiples of\(\displaystyle \int_0^{1/2}\frac{|\sin(n+1)\pi t|}{ t}\,dt\), so it will be sufficient to estimate the size of that integral. The substitution $x = (n+1)\pi t$ gives $$ \int_0^{1/2}\frac{|\sin(n+1)\pi t|}{ t}\,dt = \int_0^{(n+1)\pi/2}\frac{|\sin x|}{x}\,dx = \sum_{r=0}^n \int_{r\pi/2}^{(r+1)\pi/2}\frac{|\sin x|}{x}\,dx.$$ On the interval $[0,\pi/2]$, $\frac{\sin x}x$ lies between $\frac12$ and $1$.

On the interval $[r\pi/2,(r+1)\pi/2]$ for $r\geqslant1$, \(\displaystyle \frac{|\sin x|}{x} \leqslant \frac1{r\pi/2}.\) Therefore \(\displaystyle \int_{r\pi/2}^{(r+1)\pi/2}\frac{|\sin x|}{x}\,dx \leqslant \int_{r\pi/2}^{(r+1)\pi/2}\frac1{r\pi/2}\,dx = \frac1r.\)

To get an inequality in the opposite direction, notice that \(\displaystyle |\sin x| \geqslant \frac1{\sqrt2}\) throughout one or other of the subintervals $[r\pi/2,(r+0.5)\pi/2]$, $[(r+0.5)\pi/2,(r+1)\pi/2]$ (each of which has length $\pi/4$). On that subinterval, \(\displaystyle \frac{|\sin x|}x \geqslant \frac{1/\sqrt2}{(r+1)\pi/2} = \frac{\sqrt2}{(r+1)\pi}.\) It follows that \(\displaystyle \int_{r\pi/2}^{(r+1)\pi/2}\frac{|\sin x|}{x}\,dx \geqslant \frac{\sqrt2}{4(r+1)} \geqslant \frac{\sqrt2}{8r}\) (when $r\geqslant1$).

Thus \(\displaystyle \int_{r\pi/2}^{(r+1)\pi/2}\frac{|\sin x|}{x}\,dx\) lies between two fixed (independent of $r$) multiples of $\frac1r$, and therefore \(\displaystyle \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}|D_n(t)|\,dt\) lies between two positive multiples of \(\displaystyle \sum_{r=1}^n\frac1r\). But that harmonic sum is asymptotically close to $\ln n$.

In conclusion (modulo tidying up the little details of what happens when $r=0$, and how to incorporate the Euler–Mascheroni constant), \(\displaystyle \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}|D_n(t)|\,dt\) lies between two fixed (independent of $n$) positive multiples of $\ln n$.

Status
Not open for further replies.