Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #267 - Mar 21, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week’s problem was solved correctly by Opalg . Both castor28 and Ackbach receive honorable mention for handling all cases except for the $n = 2$ case correctly. Here is Opalg ’s solution.

Let \(\displaystyle I_n = \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{1+x^n}.\)

If $n=1$ then \(\displaystyle I_1 = \lim_{r\to\infty}\ln(1+x)\bigr|_0^r\), which diverges.

If $n=2$ then \(\displaystyle I_2 = \lim_{r\to\infty}\arctan x\bigr|_0^r = \frac\pi2.\)

For $n\geqslant3$, integrate the function \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+z^n}\) round a 'pizza slice' contour going from $0$ to $r$ on the real axis, then along an arc of the circle $|z|=r$ to the point $re^{2\pi i/n}$, and back along the line $\arg z = 2\pi i/n$ to $0$. Then let $r\to\infty.$

The integral along the axis is then $I_n$. The integral round the arc goes to $0$.

For the remaining segment of the contour, the substitution $z= xe^{2\pi i/n}$ converts it to \(\displaystyle -\int_0^\infty\frac{e^{2\pi i/n}}{1+x^n}dx = -e^{2\pi i/n}I_n.\)

The only singularity of \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+z^n}\) inside the contour is a simple pole at $e^{\pi i/n}$, where the residue is \(\displaystyle \frac1{n(e^{\pi i/n})^{n-1}} = \frac{-1}{ne^{-\pi i/n}}.\)

It follows from Cauchy's theorem that \(\displaystyle (1 - e^{2\pi i/n})I_n = \frac{-2\pi i}{ne^{-\pi i/n}}\), and therefore $$I_n = \frac{2\pi i}{n(e^{\pi i/n} - e^{-\pi i/n})} = \frac{2\pi i}{2ni\sin(\pi/n)} = \boxed{\frac{\pi }{n\sin(\pi/n)}}.$$

As a check, this gives the correct value when $n=2$. (When $n=1$ the denominator is zero, which sort of agrees with the fact that $I_1$ diverges.)

As a further check, it also gives the expected answer as $n\to\infty$. To see that, notice that when $n$ is very large the function \(\displaystyle \frac1{1+x^n}\) is close to $1$ when $0<x<1$, and close to $0$ when $x>1$. So the area under its graph should be close to $1$. But \(\displaystyle \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\pi }{n\sin(\pi/n)} = \lim_{n\to\infty}\frac{\pi }{n(\pi/n)} = 1\), as expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.