Connection between existentialism and idealism? Help.

• Thread starter zk4586
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Connection
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between existentialism and idealism. It is noted that existentialism is concerned with finding meaning in a world without ultimate meaning, while idealism suggests that what is mental exists and physical things manifest from the mind. The two philosophies are seen as distinct from each other, with existentialism being more influenced by phenomenology and denying essence. The conversation ends with a comparison between Berkely's idea of a tree and Heidegger's idea of a chair.
zk4586
Does existentialism have to do with idealism? I mean, in the sense that nothing exists outside of the minds' awareness of it? Sort of like Berkeley's idea? Do they have anything to do with each other?

Physics news on Phys.org
The central concern of Existentialism is questioning how, in a world without some ultimate meaning, an individual is going to find meaning. For one philosopher I admire (Albert Camus), this boiled down to the question; “Is there any reason not to commit suicide?”

Basic Idealism (What is mental exists, and physical things manifest from the mind or from thought, etc.) seems quite a different thing to me. So the way I would answer you question is to say the two are distinct.

Does existentialism have to do with idealism? I mean, in the sense that nothing exists outside of the minds' awareness of it? Sort of like Berkeley's idea? Do they have anything to do with each other?

Not "in the sense that nothing exists outside of the minds' awareness". Existentialism, at least the Sartre and Heidegger incarnations, was extremely inflluenced by the phenomenology of Husserl (they rejected many of Husserl's core assertions, but still). The only main similarity I can think of is that existentialism denied essence, meaning is infused through existence.. But that is not so much a similarity... hmmmmm... Why do you ask? Existentialism was probably influenced by Idealism in many ways, but off the top of my head I can't name any ideas completely barrowed from it...

I can't imagine a greater conceptual distance than that between Berkely's tree, which was not there when nobody was looking, and Heigegger's chair, which was a dynamic bundle of thereness.

zk, what exactly prompted the question, in the first place?

1. What is the main connection between existentialism and idealism?

The main connection between existentialism and idealism is that both philosophies focus on the individual's experience and perception of reality. Existentialism emphasizes the importance of individual freedom and choice, while idealism emphasizes the power of the mind to shape reality.

2. How do existentialism and idealism differ from each other?

Existentialism is a philosophy that emphasizes individual existence, freedom, and choice. It is often associated with the rejection of traditional values and beliefs. On the other hand, idealism is a philosophy that emphasizes the role of the mind in shaping reality. It is often associated with the belief that reality is ultimately a product of the mind.

3. Can someone be both an existentialist and an idealist?

Yes, it is possible for someone to hold beliefs from both existentialism and idealism. For example, someone may believe in the power of individual choice and freedom (existentialism) while also believing that the mind plays a significant role in shaping reality (idealism).

4. How do existentialism and idealism impact our understanding of the world?

Existentialism and idealism both challenge traditional ways of thinking and encourage individuals to question their perceptions of reality. They also emphasize the importance of individual experiences and perspectives in shaping our understanding of the world.

5. Are there any criticisms of the connection between existentialism and idealism?

Some critics argue that the connection between existentialism and idealism is too abstract and lacks practical application. Additionally, others suggest that the focus on individual experience and perception can lead to solipsism, or the belief that only one's own mind and perceptions are real.