Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #266 - Feb 27, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $\Bbb Z$ denote the ring of Gaussian integers. Prove that the tensor product $\Bbb Z\otimes_{\Bbb Z} \Bbb R$ is ring isomorphic to the complex numbers $\Bbb C$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
I'm giving users one more week to attempt to solve this problem. Start by considering simple tensors $1 \otimes x$ and $i \otimes x$ for a fixed $x\in \Bbb R$.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

The map $\Bbb Z \times \Bbb R \to \Bbb C$, $(z,r) \mapsto zr$ is a $\Bbb Z$-bilinear map, so it induces a unique $\Bbb Z$-linear map $\Phi : \Bbb Z\otimes_{\Bbb Z} \Bbb R \to \Bbb C$ such that $\Phi(z\otimes r) = zr$. The map $\Psi: \Bbb C \to \Bbb Z\otimes_{\Bbb Z} \Bbb R$ given by $\Psi(z) = 1\otimes \operatorname{Re}(z) + i \otimes \operatorname{Im}(z)$ is the inverse of $\Phi$. Hence, $\Phi$ is a $\Bbb Z$-linear isomorphism. So it suffices to show $\Psi(zw) = \Psi(z)\Psi(w)$ for all $z,w\in \Bbb C$. Given $z = a + bi$ and $w = c + di$, $zw = (ac - bd) + (ad + bc)i$; thus $$\Psi(zw) = 1\otimes (ac - bd) + i\otimes (ad + bc) = (1\otimes a)(1\otimes c) + (i\otimes b)(i\otimes d) + (1\otimes a)(i\otimes d) + (i\otimes b)(1\otimes c) = (1 \otimes a + i\otimes b)(1\otimes c + i\otimes d) = \Psi(z)\Psi(w).$$

Status
Not open for further replies.