Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #262 - Dec 19, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Happy Holidays, everyone! Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Consider the open unit disk $\Bbb D\subset \Bbb C$ with Riemannian metric $ds^2 = \dfrac{\lvert dz\rvert^2}{(1 - \lvert z\rvert^2)^2}$. Find a formula for the (Riemannian) distance between two points in $\Bbb D$, and use it to find the distance between $-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$ and $\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Due to the holiday break I’m giving an extra week to solve this problem. Happy New Year, everyone!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
I like Serena gets honorable mention for his correct calculation for the Riemannian distance from $-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$ to $\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}$. You can read my solution below.

Given $z,w\in \Bbb D$, the Riemannian distance between $z$ and $w$ is given by

$$d(z,w) = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \left\lvert\dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}{1 - \left\lvert\dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}$$ If $\gamma$ is a smooth curve in $\Bbb D$, set $\displaystyle\rho(\gamma) := \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert dz\rvert}{1 -\lvert z\rvert^2}$. For every isometry $\phi\in \operatorname{Isom}(\Bbb D)$, $\rho(\phi\circ \gamma) = \rho(\gamma)$. For by the Schwarz lemma, $\dfrac{\lvert \phi'(z)\rvert}{1 - \lvert z\rvert^2} \le \dfrac{1}{1 - \lvert z\rvert^2}$ for all $z\in \Bbb D$; hence

$$\rho(\phi\circ \gamma) = \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert \phi'(w)\rvert}{1 - \lvert \phi(w)\rvert^2}\lvert dw\rvert \le \int_\gamma \frac{\lvert dw\rvert}{1 - \lvert w\rvert^2} = \rho(\gamma)$$

and similarly $\rho(\gamma) = \rho(\phi^{-1}\circ \phi \circ \gamma) \le \rho(\phi\circ \gamma)$. Consequently, $d$ is invariant under the action of Möbius transformations on $\Bbb D$. Using the Möbius transformation $\phi : \Bbb D\to \Bbb D$ given by $\phi(c) := e^{i\theta}\dfrac{z - c}{1 - \bar{z}c}$ (where $\theta$ is chosen so that $\phi(w) \ge 0$), we have $d(z,w) = d(0, \phi(w))$. A geodesic joining two points on the real axis is a segment on the axis between the points, so $$d(z,w) = \int_0^{\phi(w)} \frac{dx}{1 - x^2} = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \phi(w)}{1 - \phi(w)} = \frac{1}{2}\log \frac{1 + \left\lvert \dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}{1 - \left\lvert \dfrac{z - w}{1 - \bar{z}w}\right\rvert}$$

Using this formula, we compute

$$d\left(-\frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}, \frac{1}{2}e^{i\pi/4}\right) = \frac{1}{2}\log\frac{1 + \frac{4}{5}}{1 - \frac{4}{5}} = \frac{1}{2}\log 9 = \log 3$$

Status
Not open for further replies.