What Makes Music, Math, and Art a Must-Read for IMO Gold Medalists?

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gold
In summary, the book "Gödel, Escher, Bach" is a favorite among IMO Gold Medalists. It is a challenging read, but also very entertaining and full of information presented in a creative fashion. It explores the concept of strange loops through examples in music, math, and art. The author uses an anthill as an example to explain how the brain works and presents Godel's theorem in an understandable way. The book also contains a palindrome dialogue called "Crab Canon" and has chapters dedicated to exploring the concept of self-referential statements. While some may find the dialogues between characters to be pointless, the overall structure and point of the book becomes clear with some effort. Overall, it is a must-read
PrudensOptimus
Why was this book among the favorite books of IMO Gold Medalists?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I am currently working on a re-read of GEB, first time was ~20yrs ago. It is a challenging read, it is very information dense, but also very intertaining.

Take a deep breath and dive in.

So why do IMO guys like this book again? I'm on like page 22, so far I have understood that it's about infinity works of Escher and Bach and Godel.

Escher's paintings are amazing, that waterfull, bach's whatever music piece i didn't understand, and Godel's weird proposal...

Who or what is IMO? I can't tell you why they like it, I can only tell you why I like it.

It remains my best model of how the brain works, he explains this by using an anthill as an example.

Then there is the palindrome dialog called Crab Canon, 2 pages of dialog which reads the same forwards and BACKWARDS.

This book is full of information presented in a very creative fashion. I Would recommend reading it slowly, digesting each chapter before starting the next. If you have interest in strange loops, this book is required reading.

It is a challenging intellectual exercise to read GEB. Some of his points are very interesting, and it presents Godel's theorem so that it is relatively easy to understand the proof as opposed to just the theorem.

Sometimes the diagogues between tortoise and achilles seem a bit pointless, but then something clicks and you can see the structure and the point the author is making.

It is fascinating how the concepts of the strange loop as presented in Music, Math and Art are blended together in a work which becomes an example of the strange loop in litureature. This is all about self referential statements in many different forms.

It is a challenging read, but worth the effort.

What is a Geb IMO Gold Medalist?

A Geb IMO Gold Medalist is a mathematician who has participated in the International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO) and has received a gold medal. The IMO is an annual mathematics competition for high school students from around the world.

How many Geb IMO Gold Medalists are there?

Each year, there are typically six gold medals awarded at the IMO. Therefore, there are usually six Geb IMO Gold Medalists per year.

What is the significance of winning a Geb IMO Gold Medal?

Winning a Geb IMO Gold Medal is a prestigious achievement and is highly regarded in the mathematics community. It is a testament to the mathematical abilities and problem-solving skills of the recipient.

How are Geb IMO Gold Medalists selected?

Geb IMO Gold Medalists are selected based on their performance in the IMO competition. The problems in the competition are challenging and require creative thinking and problem-solving skills. The top six participants with the highest scores are awarded gold medals.

What do Geb IMO Gold Medalists go on to do?

Geb IMO Gold Medalists often go on to pursue further education in mathematics or related fields. Many also go on to become successful mathematicians, researchers, and educators.