No future? (I never studied chemistry. Am I finished?

In summary, you can apply to universities in the States/Canada without having to take chemistry, but you'll have a tougher time in required freshman chem courses.
Azog
Hi

I am in my final year of A-levels (Grade 12), and have applied to some universities home and abroad for Electrical Engineering (for States and Can., Fall 2004).
Universities in Pakistan won't let me apply for ANY form of engineering (even mechatronics).
I always thought Elec. Engineering would be more about physics and computing (Subjects I am currently studying: Physics, Mathematics (Pure), Mathematics (Mechanics), Computing Studies) and that it had nothing much to do with chemistry (yes, I realize how wrong I was for believing that!)

1. Will universities in the States/Canada be more forgiving regarding this?
2. Will I be able to make up for this by means of additional chemistry courses while studying electrical engineering?
3. If I get admitted into any university, how hard of a grind am I in for?
4. How many years am I looking forward to losing?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Azog said:
1. Will universities in the States/Canada be more forgiving regarding this?

I'm sure there are plenty of good schools that would admit you without it. Of course, you will have a bit of a tough time in the required freshman chem courses, but if you can do math and physics, you can do it.

Another option is to take it over the summer at a community college, if you have one nearby. Make sure to let colleges know on your application that you will have a summer course in progress.

Most engineering programs (all?) require you to take a chemistry course in your first year. You'll take it then.

Don't worry, most high school/pre-college chemistry courses are not adaquate for engineering.

Maxwell said:
Most engineering programs (all?) require you to take a chemistry course in your first year. You'll take it then.

Agreed, I had some friends in my first year who had NEVER taken chemistry before, and they did just fine, since all the EE majors had to take a chem course anyways.

What is the concept of "No future"?

"No future" is a philosophical concept that refers to the idea that there is no ultimate purpose or meaning to life. It suggests that all human efforts and achievements are ultimately futile, and that the future holds no hope or promise.

How does the idea of "No future" relate to chemistry?

Chemistry is a field of science that studies the composition, properties, and reactions of matter. It is not directly related to the concept of "No future". However, some chemical reactions can have negative impacts on the environment, which can contribute to a bleak future for humanity.

Can studying chemistry help prevent a "No future" scenario?

Studying chemistry can certainly contribute to finding solutions to environmental issues, which can help prevent a bleak future for humanity. However, addressing the concept of "No future" requires a broader understanding of society and the human condition.

Is it too late to study chemistry if I never did before?

No, it is never too late to start studying chemistry or any other subject. With determination and hard work, anyone can learn and excel in any field, regardless of their previous knowledge or experience.

Will studying chemistry guarantee a future for me?

Studying chemistry or any other subject does not guarantee a specific future for anyone. The concept of "No future" challenges the idea of guaranteeing a certain outcome in life. However, gaining knowledge and skills in chemistry can provide opportunities for personal and professional growth, which can help shape one's future in a positive way.