Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #257 - Sep 26, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Using contour integration, prove

$$\int_0^\infty \sin(x^\alpha)\, dx = \sin\left(\frac{\pi}{2\alpha}\right)\,\Gamma\!\left(1 + \frac{1}{\alpha}\right),\quad \alpha > 1.$$

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week's problem was solved by Opalg . You can read his solution below.

Integrate the function $f(z) = e^{iz^\alpha}$ over a "pizza slice" contour consisting of (1) the x-axis from $0$ to $r$, (2) a circular arc of radius $r$ from $r$ to $re^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$, (3) a straight line from $re^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$ to $0$, and then let $r\to\infty$. Call the three integrals $I_1$, $I_2$, $I_3$.

Then \(\displaystyle I_1 = \int_0^\infty e^{ix^\alpha}dx = \int_0^\infty (\cos(x^\alpha) + i\sin(x^\alpha))\,dx.\)

For $I_2$, use the parametrisation $z = re^{i\theta}$. Then $$|f(z)| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(i(re^{i\theta})^\alpha\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha e^{i\alpha\theta}\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha (\cos(\alpha\theta) + i\sin(\alpha\theta))\bigr)\bigr| = \bigl|\exp\bigl(ir^\alpha \cos(\alpha\theta) - r^\alpha\sin(\alpha\theta))\bigr)\bigr| \leqslant \bigl|e^{-r^\alpha\sin(\alpha\theta)}\bigr|.$$ But for $0\leqslant \theta \leqslant \pi/(2\alpha)$, $\sin(\alpha\theta) \geqslant k\alpha\theta$ for some positive constant $k$ (in fact, you could take $k = 2/\pi$). Therefore, on the contour of $I_2$, $|f(z)| \leqslant \exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)$, and so $$|I_2| \leqslant \int_0^{\pi/(2\alpha)}\exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)r\,d\theta = \Bigl[\frac{-r}{kr^\alpha}\exp(-kr^\alpha\theta)\Bigr]_0^{\pi/(2\alpha)} \leqslant \frac1{kr^{\alpha-1}} \to0 \text{ as } r\to\infty.$$

So $I_2 = 0$. That was a delicate and somewhat messy calculation, but I don't see how to shorten it.

For $I_3$ let $z = se^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}$. Then $$I_3 = \int_\infty^0 e^{-s^\alpha}e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}ds = -e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\int_0^\infty e^{-s^\alpha}ds.$$ Substitute $t = s^\alpha$ (so that $dt = \alpha s^{\alpha-1}dt = \alpha t^{1 - \frac1\alpha}\,ds$) and integrate by parts to get $$\int_0^\infty e^{-s^\alpha}ds = \int_0^\infty e^{-t} \tfrac1\alpha t^{ \frac1\alpha - 1}\,dt = \int_0^\infty t^{1/\alpha}e^{-t}dt = \Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).$$ Hence $I_3 = -e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\Gamma\bigl(1 + \frac1\alpha \bigr)$.

The function $f(z)$ has no zeros inside the contour (or anywhere else for that matter), and so $I_1 + I_2 + I_3 = 0$. Therefore $$ \int_0^\infty (\cos(x^\alpha) + i\sin(x^\alpha))\,dx = e^{i\pi/(2\alpha)}\Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).$$ Finally, take the imaginary part to get \(\displaystyle \int_0^\infty \sin(x^\alpha)\,dx = \sin\bigl(\tfrac\pi{2\alpha}\bigr)\Gamma\bigl(1 + \tfrac1\alpha \bigr).\)

Status
Not open for further replies.