Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #255 - Aug 15, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Let $\Bbb D$ be the open unit disc in the complex plane, and let $f$ be a continuous complex function on $\partial\Bbb D$. Consider the function

$$F(re^{i\phi}) \,\dot{=}\, \frac1{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi} f(e^{i\theta})\frac{1-r^2}{1-2r\cos(\theta-\phi) + r^2}\, d\theta\quad (re^{i\phi}\in \Bbb D)$$

Prove $F$ is harmonic on $\Bbb D$, and that for all $z_0\in \partial \Bbb D$, $\lim\limits_{z\to z_0} F(z) = f(z_0)$.
-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
I'll give one more week for users to attempt a solution. Keep in mind, the definition of $F$ involves the Poisson kernel. It's key to use the fact that the Poisson kernel is an approximate identity.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Note that $F(z)$ is the real part of the holomorphic function $$\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_{0}^{2\pi} f(e^{i\theta})\frac{e^{i\theta}-z}{e^{i\theta} + z}\, d\theta$$ whence $F$ is harmonic. Now fix $z_0 = e^{i\phi_0}\in \partial \Bbb D$. By continuity of $u$, given $\epsilon > 0$ there corresponds an $\eta > 0$ such that for all $\theta$, $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert < \eta$ implies $\lvert f(e^{i\theta}) - f(e^{i\phi_0})\rvert < 0.5\epsilon$. Fix $\phi$ such that $\lvert \phi - \phi_0\rvert < 0.25\eta$, and note

$$F(re^{i\phi}) - f(re^{i\phi_0}) = \frac{1}{2\pi} \int_{-\pi}^\pi [f(re^{i\theta}) - f(re^{i\phi_0})]P_r(\phi-\theta)\, d\theta$$ where $P_r$ is the Poisson kernel. Break up the latter integral as $J_1 + J_2$, where $J_1, J_2$ are integrals over regions $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert < \eta$ and $\lvert \theta - \phi_0\rvert \ge \eta$, respectively. Then $\lvert J_1 \rvert< 0.5\epsilon$ and $\lvert J_2 \rvert < 2\max_{\lvert \phi - \theta\rvert \ge 0.75\eta} P_r(\phi - \theta) \cdot \max_{-\pi \le \theta \le \pi} \lvert u(re^{i\theta})\rvert$. Since, $\lim_{r\to 1} \max_{\lvert \phi - \theta\rvert \ge 0.75\eta} P_r(\phi - \theta) = 0$, then $|J_2| < 0.5 \epsilon$ for all $r$ sufficiently close to $1$. Hence, $\lvert F(re^{i\phi}) - F(re^{i\phi_0})\rvert < 0.5 \epsilon + 0.5 \epsilon = \epsilon$ whenever $\lvert \phi - \phi_0\rvert < 0.25\eta$ and $r$ is sufficiently close to $1$. Consequently, $\lim_{z \to z_0} F(z) = f(z_0)$.

Status
Not open for further replies.