Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #253 - Jul 19, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Congratulations to Opalg for his correct solution. Honorable mention goes to fatimarose23 . Here is Opalg 's solution.

Substitute $s = t^{1/2}$, so that $t=s^2$ and $dt = 2s\,ds$. Then $$\int_0^\infty \frac{dt}{(1+t^2)t^{1/2}} = \int_0^\infty \frac{2s}{(1+s^4)s}ds = \int_0^\infty \frac{2}{(1+s^4)}ds.$$ To evaluate \(\displaystyle J = \int_0^\infty \frac{2}{(1+s^4)}ds\) by contour integration, use a contour consisting of the interval $[0,R]$, a quarter-circle from $R$ to $iR$ and then back down the imaginary axis to the origin (and then let $R\to\infty$). The integral of $\dfrac2{1+z^4}$ along the positive real axis is just $J$, the integral round the quarter-circle goes to $0$, and the integral down the imaginary axis is $-iJ$. So the integral round the whole contour is $(1-i)J.$

The only singularity inside the contour is at the fourth root of $-1$ at $z_0 = \dfrac{1+i}{\sqrt2}$. The residue there is $\dfrac2{4z^3}$ evaluated at $z_0$, namely $\dfrac{\sqrt2}{2(-1+i)}.$ So Cauchy's theorem tells us that $(1-i)J = \dfrac{2\pi i\sqrt2}{2(-1+i)}$. Therefore $$J = \frac{\pi i\sqrt2}{- (1-i)^2} = \frac{\pi i\sqrt2}{2i} = \frac{\pi}{\sqrt2}.$$

Status
Not open for further replies.