Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #243 - Feb 07, 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Consider the normed space $\mathcal{M}(X)$ of all complex regular Borel measures on a locally compact Hausdorff space $X$, with total variation norm $\|\mu\| := \lvert \mu\rvert (X)$, for all $\mu\in \mathcal{M}(X)$. Prove that $\mathcal{M}(X)$ is a Banach space.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Hi MHB community,

My apologies for the delayed post, I was unwell. No one answered this week's problem, but you can read my solution below.

Let $(\mu_j)$ be an absolutely summable sequence in $\mathcal{M}(X)$. We want to show $\sum_j \mu_j$ converges in $\mathcal{M}(X)$. Let $\lambda := \sum_j \lvert \mu_j\lvert$. Then $\mu_j <<\lambda$ for every $j$, so there exists a sequence $f_j\in \mathcal{L}^1(\lambda)$ such that $d\mu_j = f_j\, d\lambda$ for all $j$. Since $\sum_j \|f_j\|_1 = \sum_j \|\mu_j\| < \infty$ and $\mathcal{L}^1(\lambda)$ is complete, $\sum_{j = 1}^\infty f_j$ converges to a function $f\in L^1(\lambda)$. Define a measure $\mu$ on $X$ by the assignment $A \mapsto \int_A f\, d\mu$. It is an element of $\mathcal{M}(X)$, and the series $\sum_{j} \mu_j$ converges to $\mu$.

Status
Not open for further replies.