Linear momentum equation help

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with a physics problem involving two astronauts pushing each other apart in outer space. They are trying to use the formula Xcm=M1X1+M2X2/M1+M2 to find the separation between the astronauts, but are getting stuck with an incorrect answer. They ask for help and it is determined that the mistake was due to a problem with their parenthesis. The correct answer is 17m.
cathliccat
I feel pretty dumb, but I can't get the right answer. I'm terrible at basic math concepts, so don't ask me how I managed to get through 2 college math courses and now I'm stuck in physics AND statics.

Anyway my problem is: 'Two astronauts (one mass 60 kg and one mass 80 kg) are initially at rest in outer space. They push each other apart. What is their separation (in m) after the lighter astronaut has moved 12 m round off to the nearest whole number?'

I know that Xcm=M1X1+M2X2/M1+M2 is my formula, my teacher even said so after I asked him. So if 0=60(12)+80x/60+80 = 720+80x/140. That's where I get stuck - I get an answer of 1260 for my second distance which can't be right because it should be less than 12. So I must be doing this REALLY wrong. [b(] Can you help me? I know once I get the answer I need to add that to 12 to get the total amount of their separation. My guess is it should be 17m.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're just having a problem with your parenthesis. Your equation is correct:

(m1+m2)xcm = m1(x1) + m2(x2)

since xcm = 0 and x1 = 12:

0 = 60(12) + 80*x2

x2 = -9 m

The negative sign just indicates that m2 is on the other side of the middle. As a sanity check, you should notice that the center of mass is closer to the heavier one.

First of all, don't feel dumb! Physics and math can be challenging for many people, and it's completely normal to struggle with certain concepts. It's great that you're seeking help and trying to understand the problem more.

To solve this problem, we can use the conservation of momentum equation, which states that the total momentum of a system before and after an interaction remains constant. In this case, the two astronauts are initially at rest, so their total momentum is zero. After they push each other apart, their total momentum is still zero.

Using the formula you mentioned, Xcm = M1X1 + M2X2 / (M1 + M2), we can set up the following equation:

0 = 60(0) + 80(X2) / (60 + 80)

Simplifying this, we get:

0 = 80X2 / 140

We can then solve for X2 by multiplying both sides by 140 and dividing by 80, giving us:

X2 = 0

This means that the heavier astronaut does not move at all, and the lighter astronaut moves 12 meters. So the separation between them is 12 meters.

In general, when solving problems like this, it's important to carefully consider the units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem. Also, double check your calculations to make sure you haven't made any mistakes. It's always a good idea to go back and check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

I hope this helps! Keep practicing and seeking help when needed, and you'll get better at these concepts. Don't give up!

1. What is the linear momentum equation?

The linear momentum equation is a fundamental equation in physics that describes the relationship between the mass, velocity, and momentum of an object. It states that the momentum of an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its velocity.

2. How is the linear momentum equation derived?

The linear momentum equation is derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By rearranging this equation, we can derive the linear momentum equation.

3. What are the units of measurement for linear momentum?

The units of measurement for linear momentum are kilogram-meters per second (kg·m/s) in the SI system and grams-centimeters per second (g·cm/s) in the CGS system.

4. How is the linear momentum equation used in real-world applications?

The linear momentum equation is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and aerodynamics. It is commonly used to calculate the momentum of moving objects and to predict the behavior of fluids and gases.

5. Can the linear momentum equation be applied to systems with multiple objects?

Yes, the linear momentum equation can be applied to systems with multiple objects by considering the total momentum of all the objects in the system. This is known as the principle of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a system remains constant as long as no external forces act on it.