Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #230 - Oct 25, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that if $(X,\mathcal{M},\mu)$, $(Y,\mathcal{N},\nu)$ are finite measure spaces, $1 < p < \infty$, and $K$ is a measurable function on $X\times Y$, there is a bounded integral operator $I(K) : \mathscr{L}^p(\nu) \to \mathscr{L}^p(\mu)$ given by

$$I(K)(f) :x \mapsto \int_Y K(x,y)\,f(y)\, d\nu(y)\quad (f\in \mathscr{L}^p(\mu)),$$

provided that the kernel $K$ satisfies the conditions $\sup_x \int_Y \lvert K(x,y)\rvert\, d\nu(y) < \infty$ and $\sup_y \int_X \lvert K(x,y)\rvert \, d\mu(x) < \infty$.
-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. That's ok though, because the problem statement originally had some typos -- they have been corrected. :D You can read my solution below.

Assume the conditions on $K$ hold. Let $\alpha$ be the supremum of all the integrals $\int_Y \lvert K(x,y)\vert\, d\nu(y)$ as $x$ ranges over $X$; similarly define $\beta$ as the supremum of all integrals $\int_X \lvert K(x,y)\vert\, d\mu(x)$ as $y$ ranges over $Y$. Let $q$ be the conjugate exponent of $p$. Given $f\in \mathscr{L}^p$ with $\|f\|_p = 1$,

$$\lvert I(K)f\rvert \le \int_Y \lvert K(x,y)\rvert^{1/q} \lvert K(x,y)\rvert^{1/p}\lvert f(y)\rvert\, d\nu(y) \le \alpha^{1/q}\left(\int_Y \lvert K(x,y)\rvert \lvert f(y)\rvert^p\, d\nu(y)\right)^{1/p},$$

using Hölder's inequality, and by Fubini,

$$\|I(K)f\|_p \le \alpha^{1/q}\left(\int_X\int_Y \lvert K(x,y)\rvert \lvert f(y)\rvert^p\, d\nu(y)\, d\mu(x)\right)^{1/p}
= \alpha^{1/q}\left(\int_Y \lvert f(y)\rvert^p \left[\int_X \lvert K(x,y)\rvert\, d\mu(x)\right] d\nu(y)\right)^{1/p}
\le \alpha^{1/q}\beta^{1/p}\|f\|_p = \alpha^{1/q}\beta^{1/p}$$

As $f$ was arbitrary, $T$ is bounded (by $\alpha^{1/q}\beta^{1/p}$). In fact, as $0 \le \alpha, \beta \le \max\{\alpha,\beta\}$, we may deduce $\|I(K)\| \le \max\{\alpha,\beta\}$.

Status
Not open for further replies.