Are self-tying shoes the future of footwear?

• Thread starter Dagenais
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and inconveniences of traditional shoelaces and explores alternative options such as zippers, air pumps, and loafers. The idea of "Dag Kick Pumps" is suggested and the conversation also touches on the use of velcro and wooden clogs. The conversation also mentions the potential environmental impact of shoe materials.
Dagenais
Shoelaces.

There has to be a better way considering the advancement in technology these days.

I'm watching movies from over 20 years back, and I see people tying shoelaces. Shoelaces don't cut it anymore.

With all the time wasted tying shoes.

Have any of you been on a Cruise vacation? If the ship sinks, the crew members always advise that you leave the ship in a calm manner with life jackets and good shoes.

So the boat is sinking, and you are struggling to tie a double-knot in order to escape the boat in time. No, doesn't cut it.

It's repetitive, shoelaces can be dirty and they come undone. And it's just a b!tch when gum gets stuck on them. :frown:

A lot of young people don't even tie there shoes. Of course, this is seen as sloppy and careless. Some have them tied loosely and never untie them (skateboarders).

There have been zippers on some AND1 basketball shoes, they were okay. However, they only work in conjunction with shoelaces. People over 12 don't usually use Velcro.

So, let's change history and come up with a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
i have velcro trainers... but it is a "lacism" campaign in England... it's fashionable to have velcro apparently, as long as it is concealed... what's next?? Jelly shoes?

How about air pumps, just like the old Reeboks.

Except, you don't have to pump them up for 5 minutes until the shoe actually starts tightening.

I'm talking about 3 pumps, and the shoe fits. The pump is made for that size of a shoe.

You pump a few times and the shoe fits. Perfect for just walking or athletes.

I may copyright this idea. It's perfect!

What do you all think!?

I'll call them: "Dag Kick Pumps"

The old Reebok pumps sucked! Sucked!

cookiemonster

This problem was solved a long time ago with a kind of shoe called a "loafer". Loafers were very popular for about 20 years. No laces. You just slipped your foot into them like an Indian mocasin. The only limit to the loafer was that it had to be low cut, and was a relatively light shoe. It wasn't something you could wear doing construction or wilderness hiking: no protection. It was a great, convenient everyday shoe, though.

BUT, you can't use it for everything.

What if you were out on the street and you had to run or wanted to play a quick game of basketball/soccer?

Then what!?

You could run or play basketball in them perfectly well. Soccer would be hard on the polish.

I love loafers. :biggrin: Don't forget zoob, they now have those slip on sneaker clogs.

With a name like "zoobyshoe", I'd think you'd have a more revolutionary suggestion than "loafers". :rolleyes: :wink:

What exactly is a zoobyshoe, anyway, and where can we get a pair?

zoobyshoe said:
You could run or play basketball in them perfectly well. Soccer would be hard on the polish.

Are you insane!? I once sprained an ankle so badly in low-cut basketball sneakers that I was on crutches for months. I haven't played basketball without hightops and an ankle brace since. If I had been wearing loafers my foot probably would have snapped off altogether.

Plus, I had to wear loafers as part of a dress code for school way back when, and they looked dorky.

Velcro is coming back in style. Personally I never tie my shoes. I just tuck the laces into the shoe. Then again I wear skateboarding shoes (as they are by far the most comfortable type of shoe out there).

Are you insane!? I once sprained an ankle so badly in low-cut basketball sneakers that I was on crutches for months. I haven't played basketball without hightops and an ankle brace since. If I had been wearing loafers my foot probably would have snapped off altogether.

Yeah. Loafers are never a good choice for sports.

You may want to check http://www.converse.com/zproductdetails.asp?zcatid=1&zsubcatid=2&sku=1Q012 out. I have 2 pairs. Highly comfortable for walking but great for sports.

Tom Mattson said:
With a name like "zoobyshoe", I'd think you'd have a more revolutionary suggestion than "loafers". :rolleyes: :wink:
Hey, I just thought people wanted a shoe they didn't have to tie. I didn't know they wanted to be able to do everything from deep sea diving to space walks in it.
What exactly is a zoobyshoe, anyway, and where can we get a pair?
Any shoe large enough to fit a zoobie. For details on where to purchase such shoes contact Shaq O'Neil.

hypnagogue said:
Are you insane!?
I figured everyone had more or less realized I am by this point.
I once sprained an ankle so badly in low-cut basketball sneakers that I was on crutches for months. I haven't played basketball without hightops and an ankle brace since. If I had been wearing loafers my foot probably would have snapped off altogether.
It could be the moral of the story is about basketball, not about sneakers.
Plus, I had to wear loafers as part of a dress code for school way back when, and they looked dorky.
And yet, they had no laces, did they? Easy on, easy off. I used to enjoy that.

I think everyone should just start wearing wooden clogs, it is easy to take them off everytime you enter someones house and they are easy to clean with a hose. The only difficulty I see is with basketball, but that would make the game so much more interesting..

sounds great monique, sure the rainforests would LOVE to hear that! but then again, the cows love leather, all the plastic shoes are made from oil... from now on I am going to use surgical spirits to harden my feet and walk NATURE'S WAY!

zoobyshoe said:
It could be the moral of the story is about basketball, not about sneakers.

Yes. Basketball is worth playing no matter how badly you may hurt yourself. :biggrin:

And yet, they had no laces, did they? Easy on, easy off. I used to enjoy that.

I have the same thing with my normal everyday sneakers. They have laces, but I never have to tie or untie them. I just slip them on and off, and they stay nice and tied. Best of both worlds.

1. Why are shoelaces considered not high tech?

Shoelaces are considered not high tech because they have not undergone major technological advancements since their invention. They are still made of basic materials such as cotton or nylon and are tied in a simple knot.

2. Can shoelaces be considered high tech in any way?

While shoelaces themselves may not be high tech, there are now various methods of lacing and tying them that can be considered more advanced. Additionally, some shoelaces are now made with reflective materials or have built-in elastic for a more secure fit.

3. Are there any benefits to using traditional shoelaces over high tech alternatives?

Yes, traditional shoelaces can often be more affordable and accessible compared to high tech alternatives. They also offer a classic look and can be easily replaced if damaged.

4. How have shoelaces evolved over time?

Shoelaces have evolved in terms of materials used and functions. For example, there are now shoelaces made from recycled plastic or Kevlar for added durability. There are also no-tie shoelaces available for convenience.

5. Is there a limit to how high tech shoelaces can become?

As technology continues to advance, it is possible that shoelaces could become even more high tech in the future. For example, there are already prototypes for self-tying shoelaces. However, the basic function of shoelaces may always remain the same.

Back