Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #225 - Sep 20, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Suppose $X$ is a compact Hausdorff space. Show that there is homeomorphism between $X$ and the collection $Y$ of maximal ideals in $C(X,\Bbb R)$, the space of continuous real-valued functions on $X$ (here, $Y$ is topologized with the Zariski topology).

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

For each $x\in X$, let $\mathbf m(x) := \{g\in C(X) : g(x) = 0\}$. I claim that the mapping $X \to Y$ sending $x$ to $\mathbf{m}(x)$ is a homeomorphism. Given an element $\mathbf{m}\in Y$, let $$X_{\mathbf{m}} = \bigcap_{g\in \mathbf{m}} \{x\in X : g(x) = 0\}$$ Then $X_\mathbf{m}$ is nonempty. Otherwise, to each $x\in X$ there corresponds a $g_x\in \mathbf{m}(x)$ for which $g(x)$ is nonzero. By continuity of $g_x$, there is an open neighborhood $U_x\ni x$ on which $g_x$ is nowhere zero. By compactness of $X$, finitely many $U_x$ cover $X$, say $U_{x_1},\ldots U_{x_n}$. Then $g := \sum\limits_{i = 1}^n g_{x_i}^2$ is non-vanishing on $X$; this means $g$ is invertible in $C(X)$. This contradicts the fact that $g$ belongs to the maximal ideal $\mathbf{m}$. So $X_\mathbf{m} \neq \emptyset$.

Since $X$ is compact Hausdorff, Urysohn's lemma shows that if $x \neq y$, there is a $g\in C(X)$ so that $g(x) \neq g(y)$. This implies $\mathbf{m}(x) \neq \mathbf{m}(y)$, proving injectivity of the mapping $X \to Y$.

To prove surjectivity, take $\mathbf{m}\in Y$ and $x\in X_{\mathbf{m}}$. For all $g\in \mathbf{m}$, $g(x) = 0$, so then $g\in \mathbf{m}(x)$. Consequently, $\mathbf{m}\subset \mathbf{m}_x$. Maximality of $\mathbf{m}$ forces $\mathbf{m} = \mathbf{m}(x)$, proving surjectivity.

Given $g\in C(X)$, the sets $U(g) := \{x \in X : g(x) \neq 0\}$ and $\mathbf{U}(g) := \{\mathbf{m}\in Y : g\notin \mathbf{m}\}$ are basic open sets in $X$ and $Y$, respectively. So it suffices to show that $U(g)$ maps onto $\mathbf{U}(g)$ under the map $X\to Y$. To each $\mathbf{m}\in \mathbf{U}(g)$, there corresponds an $x\in X$ for which $\mathbf{m}(x) = \mathbf{m}$. Then $g(x) \neq 0$ (as $g\notin \mathbf{m}$), whence $x\in U(g)$ and $U(g)$ maps onto $\mathbf{U}(g)$.

Status
Not open for further replies.