Exploring Relativity: A Beginner's Journey with the Peripatetic Albert Einstein

• Thread starter OneEye
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about someone who is an amateur and is reading Einstein's Relativity for the first time. They have questions and are seeking help to understand the concepts better. The person they are talking with suggests finding a better book to learn from, but the individual is content with Einstein's explanation and is open to recommendations for other helpful resources.
OneEye
I am an amateur, reading Einstein's Relativity for the first time.

Naturally, I have questions.

I am not aiming to disprove relativity, nor to flaunt my erudition.

I am just trying to fill out the model so that I can freely "walk around in it".

I would like to correspond with anyone who has read Relativity or who can provide me with able assistance on the concepts exposed by Dr. Einstein.

Any help?

- After all, are we not all mere reference molluscs?

Physics news on Phys.org
Step 1: Find a better book to learn relativity from than Einstein's Relativity.

Step 2: Read that book instead.

- Warren

Dear Warren,

Thank you for your advice. At this point, I am fairly happy with Dr. Einstein's "clear explanation that anyone can understand." As you point out, there are probably better exegeses out there, but I feel that Dr. Einstein has done a good enough job, especially as far as SR, for me to begin to understand the model.

In addition, Dr. Einstein's book is the one I have on hand. Undoubtedly, other reference works are valuable and will be helpful. I have found, for instance, J.C.A. Wevers' Physics Formulary quite handy.

But perhaps you can recommend a better book for this investigation. Your recommendation would be welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the book "Exploring Relativity" about?

The book "Exploring Relativity" is a beginner's guide to understanding the complex theory of relativity, as explained by the renowned scientist Albert Einstein. It takes the reader on a journey through the basic concepts of relativity and its applications in the real world.

2. Do I need any prior knowledge of physics to understand this book?

No, the book is written for beginners and assumes no prior knowledge of physics. It introduces all the necessary concepts in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, making it accessible for readers of all levels.

3. How is the book structured?

The book is divided into chapters, each focusing on a specific aspect of relativity. It starts with the basics of space and time, and then moves on to discuss the theories of special and general relativity. There are also examples, illustrations, and exercises throughout the book to help reinforce the concepts.

4. What makes this book different from other books on relativity?

This book uses a unique approach of following the footsteps of Einstein, the "peripatetic" scientist, as he developed his theories of relativity. It also includes anecdotes and historical context, making the subject more relatable and engaging for the reader.

5. Can this book be used as a textbook for a physics course?

Yes, this book can be used as a supplementary textbook for a physics course on relativity. It provides a comprehensive understanding of the subject, with clear explanations and examples that can aid students in their learning.