Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #222 - Aug 30, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

The integral evaluates to $\pi^3/4$. To see this, consider the contour integral

$$\oint_{C(R,\epsilon)} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz$$

where the branch cut for $\log z$ is taken along the nonpositive real axis, and $C(r,\epsilon)$ is the keyhole contour in the upper-half plane with arcs of radii $\epsilon$ and $R$, with $0 < \epsilon < 1 < R$. By the residue theorem, this integral evaluates to $$2\pi i \operatorname*{Res}_{z = i} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1} = 2\pi i \frac{\log^2 i}{2i} = \pi\left(-\frac{\pi^2}{4}\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}.$$

On the arc of radius $R$, the integrand is bounded by $(\log^2 R + \pi^2)/(R^2 - 1)$. Therefore, by the ML-estimate, integral along the arc of radius $R$ is bounded by $\pi R(\log^2R + \pi^2)/(R^2 - 1)$, which is negligible as $R\to \infty$. The integral along the arc of radius $\epsilon$ is bounded by $\pi \epsilon(\log^2 \epsilon + \pi^2)/(1 - \epsilon^2)$, which is negligible as $\epsilon \to 0$. Consequently,

$$\lim_{\epsilon \to 0,\, R\to \infty} \left(\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz + \int_{[\epsilon,R]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}.\tag{*}\label{eq1}$$

Now

$$\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\log^2(-x)}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{(\ln\lvert x\rvert + \pi i)^2}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln^2 \lvert x\rvert - \pi^2}{x^2 + 1}\, dx + i \int_\epsilon^R \frac{\pi \ln\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx$$

Therefore

$$\int_{[-R,-\epsilon]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz + \int_{[\epsilon, R]} \frac{\log^2 z}{z^2 + 1}\, dz = 2\int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2 \int_\epsilon^R \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} + i\int_\epsilon^R \frac{\ln\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx$$

Letting $\epsilon \to 0$, $R\to \infty$, and using limiting equation \eqref{eq1}, we deduce

$$2\int_0^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2 \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{x^2 + 1} = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \pi^2\left(\frac{\pi}{2}\right) = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx - \frac{\pi^3}{2} = -\frac{\pi^3}{4}$$

$$ \bbox[yellow,5px,border:2px solid red]{\int_{-\infty}^\infty \frac{\ln^2\lvert x\rvert}{x^2 + 1}\, dx = \frac{\pi^3}{4}} $$

Status
Not open for further replies.