How do I simplify trig identities involving (tan+1)^2 and secx+1/secx?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a person seeking help with trigonometry homework problems involving identities. They were struggling with simplifying expressions and were able to get help from someone named cookiemaster.
Dantes
Hey everyone.

I am doing some trig homework questions over identities and like most people its driving me insane.

I have this one that has (tan+1)^2 and secx+1/secx over 1 + 1/sec^2x.

Now my issue on the first one is that I get it to (tan+1)(tan+1) and then take it into sin/cos+1 * sin/cos+1 using the quotient identity. and I get stuck.

On the 2nd one those 1's by themselves drive me crazy and I am not sure what to do with them.

Any help is appreciate been looking over these two problems for awhile and its giving me a headache.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Both of the identities are equal to zero and I just am trying to simplify it down in terms of sin cos or tan.

nevermind got them done thanks to cookiemaster!

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations involving trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, that are true for all values of the variables within a certain range. They are used to simplify and manipulate trigonometric expressions.

2. Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to solve complex trigonometric equations and simplify them into more manageable forms. They also help us to establish relationships between different trigonometric functions and make calculations easier.

3. What are the most commonly used trigonometric identities?

The most commonly used trigonometric identities are the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, quotient identities, and double angle identities. These identities are used in various applications of trigonometry, such as in physics, engineering, and navigation.

4. How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equal to the other side. This process may involve using the Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, or other trigonometric identities. It is important to remember to only manipulate one side of the equation at a time and to follow the rules of algebra and trigonometry.

5. What is the best way to study trigonometric identities?

The best way to study trigonometric identities is to practice solving various types of problems that involve these identities. This will help you become familiar with the different identities and how to use them in different situations. You can also make flashcards or create a study guide to help you memorize the identities and their properties.