Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #217 - Jul 26, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Prove

$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/(2n)} \frac{\sin 2nx}{\sin x}\, dx = \int_0^\pi \frac{\sin x}{x}\, dx.$$

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

I'll prove this in two ways: (1) by Lebesgue integration and (2) by Riemann integration.

(1) By a change of variable $y = 2n x$, I write

$$\int_0^{\pi/2n} \frac{\sin 2n x}{\sin x}\, dx = \int_0^\pi \frac{\sin y}{2n\sin \frac{y}{2n}}\, dy\tag{*}$$

Since $\sin x \ge \dfrac{2x}{\pi}$ for $0 \le x \le \pi/2$, then $2n \sin \dfrac{y}{2n} \ge \dfrac2\pi y$ for $0 \le y \le \pi$. Thus, the integrand of the right-hand side of (*) is bounded by $\dfrac{\pi}{2}\cdot\dfrac{\sin y}{y}$ on $(0,\pi]$. Furthermore, the integrand converges pointwise to $\dfrac{\sin y}{y}$ over $(0,\pi]$. Hence, by the dominated convergence theorem, the integral converges to $\int_0^\pi \frac{\sin y}{y}\, dy$, as desired.

(2) Note that for every $x$,

$$\sin 2n x = \sum_{k = 1}^n (\sin 2kx - \sin\, [2(k-1)x]) =\sum_{k = 1}^n 2\cos\, [(2k-1)x] \sin x.$$

Thus

$$\int_0^{\pi/2n} \frac{\sin 2nx}{\sin x}\, dx = \int_0^{\pi/2n} \sum_{k = 1}^n 2\cos\,[(2k-1)x]\, dx = \int_0^\pi \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^n \cos\, \left[\frac{2k-1}{2n}x\right]\, dx.\tag{**}$$

The sequence of continuous functions

$$f_n(x) = \frac{1}{n}\sum_{k = 1}^n \cos \left[\frac{2k-1}{2n}x\right] \quad (n = 1, 2,3,\ldots)$$

increase monotonically, on the compact interval $[0,\pi]$, to the function $F(x)$, where $F(0) = 1$ and for $x > 0$, $$F(x) = \frac{1}{x}\int_0^x \cos t\, dt = \frac{\sin x}{x}.$$

By Dini's theorem, $f_n$ converges uniformly to $F$ on $[0,\pi]$. Hence,

$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_0^\pi f_n(x)\, dx = \int_0^\pi \lim_{n\to \infty} f_n(x)\, dx = \int_0^\pi \frac{\sin x}{x}\, dx,$$

and consequently by (**),

$$\lim_{n\to \infty} \int_0^{\pi/2n} \frac{\sin 2nx}{\sin x}\, dx = \int_0^\pi \frac{\sin x}{x}\, dx.$$

Status
Not open for further replies.