Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #210 - Jun 07, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the abelianization of the fundamental group of the $n$-fold connected sum $\underbrace{\Bbb RP^2\, \# \cdots \#\, \Bbb RP^2}_{n}$.
-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. This time I'll give someone else's solution -- John Lee's in his book Introduction to Topological Manifolds, on page 267.

Write the fundamental group as $H \cong \langle \beta_1,\ldots, \beta_n\, |\, \beta_1^2\cdots \beta_n^2\rangle$. Let $f$ denote the nontrivial element of $\Bbb Z/2$, and define $\varphi : \operatorname{Ab}(H) \to \Bbb Z^{n-1} \times \Bbb Z/2$ by

$$\varphi(\beta_i) = \begin{cases} e_i, & 1 \le i \le n-1;\\f - e_{n-1} - \cdots - e_1, & i = n\end{cases}$$ By direct computation $\varphi(\beta_1^2\cdots \beta_n^2) = (0,\ldots, 0)$ (noting that $f + f = 0$), so $\varphi$ gives a well-defined map from $H$ that descends to $\operatorname{Ab}(H)$. The homomorphism $\psi : \Bbb Z^{n-1} \times \Bbb Z/2 \to \operatorname{Ab}(H)$ defined by $\psi(e_i) = [\beta_i], \psi(f) = [\beta_1\cdots \beta_n]$ is the inverse for $\varphi$.

Status
Not open for further replies.