Contraviant and covariant tensor

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "covariant" and "contravariant" in mathematical literature, particularly in the context of tensors. While the terminology may seem confusing at first, the conversation explains that they are actually descriptive names that can be helpful in understanding their meaning. The conversation also recommends a few books on the subject for further reading, cautioning against using online notes written by a known crackpot.
jby
Any books recommended for dummies? All books that I've found starts with contraviant and covariant tensor, which seems misleading to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by jby
Any books recommended for dummies? All books that I've found starts with contraviant and covariant tensor, which seems misleading to me.

Let me guess. You looked at "Shaum College Outline Series" inexpensive good book with lots of worked problems----nothing wrong with book, you were just put off by words "contravariant and covariant". Problem is not with book or with you but with ice-cold nomenclature.

cant help with other book-recommendation---surely others will

So I will take a bizarre attitude and attempt to persuade you that the words covariant and contravariant are actually warm and fuzzy. they are your friends and the really bad terminology in that bunch is "tensor"

my private sentiment is that the word "tensor" is misleading
(probably "dingus" would do as well and it is just some
historical accident that they started saying tensor-----but covar
and contravar are descriptive names, therefore could be helpful to understand what they mean.

are you all right with the idea of a smooth mapping from some place to another place?

(how you think of the "places" depends on the problem, or on mathematical habit and convention, they might be the surfaces of two different potatos or even two copies of the same potato)

a covariant dingus is something that the mapping carries along with it from place X to place Y

a contravariant dingus is something that a mapping from X to Y "pulls back" from Y to X, so it gets translated opposite or contrary to the direction of the mapping

Let's write f: X --> Y to mean a map from X to Y
some gizmos (functions, calculus tools, mathematical contraptions) that you can define on Y are of a sort that f pulls back in a natural way to wherever it is defined, namely to X.

other bits of hardware are of a sort that if they are defined on Y the map will not pull them back but if they are defined on X the map will carry them over and make versions of them defined on Y,
directional derivatives work that way.

for example a plain old real valued function G(y) defined on Y will pull back, using the map f,

to become a new function G(f(x)) defined on X

but a real-valued function G(x) defined on X will not push forward to a function defined on Y----the mapping f:X-->Y is going the "wrong way" to accomplish that, you would need to have an inverse map of f and that is not always defined or available.

however a trajectory or path in X is COvariant because the map f will transform it into an image path in Y. And taking the derivative of some real-valued function defined on X at a point along that path translates into taking the derivative of a function defined on Y along the image path.

so the solemn ritual of taking a derivative of whatever and in whatever direction goes along WITH the map, getting carried along from X to Y in the same direction as the map goes.

in the end one just has to draw pictures. the two potatoes and the arrow going from one to another, and think about the chain rule of ordinary freshman calculus (nothing ever gets done without applying the chain rule at some point)

Last edited:

Originally posted by marcus
my private sentiment is that the word "tensor" is misleading
(probably "dingus" would do as well and it is just some
historical accident that they started saying tensor-----but covar
and contravar are descriptive names, therefore could be helpful to understand what they mean.

Dingus it is then! I've always hated the term "tensor." Great explanation too. I'll be using it later this year if you don't mind. (And even if you did, how would you stop me?)

Originally posted by marcus
however a trajectory or path in X is COvariant because the map f will transform it into an image path in Y. And taking the derivative of some real-valued function defined on X at a point along that path translates into taking the derivative of a function defined on Y along the image path.

so the solemn ritual of taking a derivative of whatever and in whatever direction goes along WITH the map, getting carried along from X to Y in the same direction as the map goes.

Can I take a dingus at Y and carry it back to X and compare it with the dingus at X and take the derivative? That'd be like going CONTRARY to the mapping and hence CONTRAvariant, isn't it?

Originally posted by jcsd
While your here, i found these on-line notes on 'Modern Relativity' extermely useful as a refernce work whilst working on the computer:

http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/

Use caution when using these notes. They were written by a well known crackpot. Most of it is okay I guess (simple stuff copied from texts) but other parts are very wrong.

The author used to post here for a short time. He came here and imediately started flaming me when he couldn't convince me that a scalar was not defined in modern physics/math as a tensor of rank zero. He was banished when he started to flame the moderator. He was warned to cease flaming but continued and was tossed out.

Pete

Originally posted by jby

What do you find misleading about this? Covariant/contravariant refer to the geometric object in most cases (sometimes it refers to a vector and its dual)

If you'd like more on covariant vs. contravariant see

http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/co_vs_contra.htm

Pete

Originally posted by pmb
Use caution when using these notes. They were written by a well known crackpot. Most of it is okay I guess (simple stuff copied from texts) but other parts are very wrong.

The author used to post here for a short time. He came here and imediately started flaming me when he couldn't convince me that a scalar was not defined in modern physics/math as a tensor of rank zero. He was banished when he started to flame the moderator. He was warned to cease flaming but continued and was tossed out.

Pete

I haven't looked over all of them, but they do seem okay to me, I've the feeling he might of lifted them from a textbook.

Originally posted by jcsd
I haven't looked over all of them, but they do seem okay to me, I've the feeling he might of lifted them from a textbook.
Some but not all.

For instance: The author keeps trying to define force as mass times acceleration. That has always gotten him into trouble in the past and I'm sure it will in the future too. In this particular case he tried to derive an expression for the Coriolis force. So he derived an expression for the Coriolis acceleration and then multiplied it times rest mass and calls that the "Coriolis force." His result is incorrect for that reason. His bogus derivation of the Coriolis force is here

http://www.geocities.com/zcphysicsms/chap6.htm#BM80

For a correct derivation see

http://arcturus.mit.edu/8.962/notes/gr6.pdf

Force is defined as the time rate of change of momentum - not as mass times acceleration. Bertschinger gets it right. The author of that website you referanced was shown this and all he could do was his usual backpeddling - It was too silly of response to repeat here. For those interested go to sci.physics.relativity and read the thread "Centrifugal etc fict-force relativistic derivation"

Then there is the subject regarding tidal forces. He botches that up pretty bad. He does something bizarre - he defines tidal force differently than the rest of the world and then proceeds to show that there is no such thing as a gravitational tidal force. He tries to define tidal force in terms of 4-forces which is quite unlike the term is defined in General Relativity. His definition is that the tidal force is the gradient of a 4-force of a particle in free-fall which is total nonsense since the gravitational force is an inertial force and not a 4-force. Any decent GRist knows that as fact.

Then there is the time where he was totally unable to comphrend what a tidal force tensor was or how it is related to the Riemann tensor.

See - http://www.geocities.com/physics_world/tidal_force_tensor.htm

for the Newtonian definition. The GR definition is that the tidal force tensor is the Riemann tensor. They're related.

Then there is the part where he claims that by "curvature" cosmologists mean "Gaussian curvature" which is bogus as well.

Then there is his claim that a uniform gravitational field has spacetime curvature when its really defined as having no tidal forces.

Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by pmb
It goes on and on and on. He's just a crackpot - plain and simple.

Do me a favor and let's stop that line of discussion here and get back to the original question. Thanks.

1. What is the difference between contravariant and covariant tensors?

Contravariant and covariant tensors are two types of mathematical objects used in the study of tensors. The main difference between them is their transformation properties under coordinate transformations. Contravariant tensors transform in the opposite direction as the coordinate system, while covariant tensors transform in the same direction as the coordinate system.

2. How are contravariant and covariant tensors related?

Contravariant and covariant tensors are related through the metric tensor, which is a mathematical object that defines the inner product between two vectors. The metric tensor is used to raise and lower indices of tensors, converting between contravariant and covariant representations.

3. What are some real-world applications of contravariant and covariant tensors?

Contravariant and covariant tensors are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. In physics, they are used to describe the physical properties of objects and their interactions. In engineering, they are used in the study of stress and strain in materials. In computer science, they are used in image and signal processing algorithms.

4. How do you manipulate contravariant and covariant tensors?

Contravariant and covariant tensors can be manipulated using index notation and tensor algebra. This involves raising and lowering indices, contracting tensors, and performing operations such as addition and multiplication. It is important to follow the rules of tensor algebra to ensure the correct transformation of tensors.

5. Can contravariant and covariant tensors have different dimensions?

Yes, contravariant and covariant tensors can have different dimensions. In general, tensors are multidimensional arrays of numbers, and the number of indices and their dimensions can vary. For example, a 2nd-order tensor may have a different number of rows and columns for its covariant and contravariant representation. However, the dimensions of the covariant and contravariant representations must match for a tensor to be well-defined.