Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #209 - May 31, 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Define the logarithm of an $n\times n$ matrix $A$ by the power series

$$\sum_{k = 1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{k-1}(A - I)^k}{k}$$

which converges for $\|A - I\| < 1$ (the standard matrix norm is being used here). Prove that for all $n\times n$ matrices $A$ and $B$ with $\|A - I\| < 1$, $\|B - I\| < 1$, $\|AB - I\| < 1$, and $AB = BA$,

$$\log(AB) = \log A + \log B$$

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
This week's problem was solved correctly by Opalg . You can read his solution below.

Let $D = \{z\in\mathbb{C}: |z-1|<1\}$ and $\exp D = \{e^z:z\in D\}.$ Neither of these sets intersect the negative real axis, so the logarithm is defined as a holomorphic function on both sets, and satisfies the condition \(\displaystyle \log z = \sum_{k=1}^\infty \frac{(-1)^{k-1}(z-1)^k}k\) for $z\in D.$

The holomorphic functional calculus says that given an $n\times n$ matrix $T$ whose spectrum [set of eigenvalues] lies in some domain $U$, there is a continuous unital homomorphism $\phi_T$ from the algebra of holomorphic functions on $U$ (with the topology of uniform convergence on compact subsets) to the $n\times n$ matrices, with $\phi_T(z) = T.$ In particular, if $U = D$ or $U = \exp D$ then this mapping takes the logarithm function to a matrix $\log T$. The continuity of $\phi_T$ ensures that when $U = D$ this definition of $\log T$ agrees with that in the statement of the problem. Also, the exponential and logarithm functions are inverses of each other between the spaces $D$ and $\exp D$.

Given $A$ and $B$ as in the problem, the conditions $\|A - I\|<1$ and $\|B - I\|<1$ ensure that the spectrum of each matrix lies in $D$. Let $X = \log A$ and $Y = \log B.$ Then $YX = XY$, because polynomials in $A$ and $B$ commute. Thus $$\exp(X+Y) = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \frac{(X+Y)^n}{n!} = \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{k=0}^n \frac{X^kY^{n-k}}{k!(n-k)!} = \sum_{s=0}^\infty \frac{X^s}{s!} \sum_{t=0}^\infty \frac{Y^t}{t!} = \exp X \exp Y,$$ the change in order of summation being justified because of the uniform convergence of the series on compact sets.

Therefore $\exp (\log A + \log B) = \exp(X+Y) = \exp X\exp Y = AB$. The condition $\|AB - I\|<1$ ensures that the spectrum of $AB\;(=\exp (\log A + \log B))$ is in $D$, so we can apply the logarithm function to both sides to conclude that $\log A + \log B = \log(AB)$.

Status
Not open for further replies.