Can Gravitational and Electromagnetic Forces Defy Conservation of Energy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy sources of gravitational and electromagnetic forces and whether they violate the conservation of energy. It is clarified that these forces do not violate the conservation of energy as energy is what is conserved, not forces. The topic of energy transfer between interacting objects in these fields is also brought up, but the possibility of transferring energy through charges or masses is uncertain. The conversation also touches on the concept of charges continuously emitting photons and the debate between the SED theory and CED theory. Finally, the question of whether a particle's charge or gravitational field can change another's is raised, but remains unanswered.
anand
What is gravitational forces' and electromagnetic forces' energy source?Don't they violate conservation of energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
Masses and charges, respectively. No.

Could you explain.What I meant was that why doesn't it ever get exausted?

Originally posted by anand
Could you explain.What I meant was that why doesn't it ever get exausted?
Because they are forces, not energies. Energy is what is conserved.

Originally posted by anand
What is gravitational forces' and electromagnetic forces' energy source?Don't they violate conservation of energy?

The energy source is potential energy.

this sounds like a pretty good place to ask this question. I have been wondering for sometime now if energy could be some how transferred between the two interacting objects in a gravitational or electromagnetic field. What I know about the two tells me no but I just wanted to make sure.

P.S. what about the nuclear forces?

Last edited:
I didn't understand the previous question, but I think that charges do violate COE. I think this because they continually emitt photons and I subsribe to the SED theory were these photon's energy source is the vacuum's virtual pariticle flux. And please, I don't want to here any more about how that can't be, that the virtual particle flux is statistical and so averages to zero over time. That is CED nonsense, and this is on the forefront of quantum mechanics, because SED explains why the equations work, instead of just giving them.

Obviously charges do not continuously emit photons. If they did, the entire universe would have an essentially infinite temperature.

Please, if you want to talk nonsense, don't do it here -- do it in the correct forum.

- Warren

Originally posted by bdkeenan00
this sounds like a pretty good place to ask this question. I have been wondering for sometime now if energy could be some how transferred between the two interacting objects in a gravitational or electromagnetic field. What I know about the two tells me no but I just wanted to make sure.

P.S. what about the nuclear forces?
I'm not sure I understand it either but objects can most certainly transfer energy between them.

Classically, charges have an infinite self-energy. Two electrons have a potential energy -ke2/r. Quarks' colors have a constant, rather than inverse square distance force relation.

Originally posted by russ_watters
I'm not sure I understand it either but objects can most certainly transfer energy between them.

Thank you:smile: I apparently wasn't clear enough on my question. Okay what I asked is if you have say two charges(or two masses) there would be an electromagnetic force between the charges and a gravitational force between the two masses. I realize that each charge or mass would have a potenial energy because of its position in the gravitational(or in the case of the charges ,electromagnetic)field, and that this energy can be converted into kinetic(like when a ball falls it's stored potential energy is converted into kinetic energy as it accelerates downwards). So is there anyway in which the energy of one charge(or mass) can be transferred to the other( the two objects not being in physical contact of course)?

If you have already answered this question I am sorry for asking it again. I just wanted to make sure.

Last edited:
Originally posted by russ_watters

Thank you:smile:

Still not sure, but it sounds like you are asking if a particles charge or gravitational field (warping of space) can change another's. Don't think so, but this is getting out of my depth.

What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is one of the fundamental forces of nature and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and other celestial bodies.

How does gravitational force work?

Gravitational force works by pulling objects with mass towards each other. The strength of this force depends on the mass of the objects and the distance between them. The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the force, and the greater the distance between them, the weaker the force.

What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = G x ((m1 x m2) / d^2), where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and d is the distance between them.

Is gravitational force the same as weight?

No, gravitational force and weight are not the same. Weight is the measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, while gravitational force is the force that causes two objects to be attracted to each other.

How does gravitational force affect our everyday lives?

Gravitational force plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It keeps us grounded on Earth, allows objects to stay in orbit around the Earth, and determines the motion of the planets in our solar system. It also helps to shape the structure and movement of the universe as a whole.