How did ET get in your head? [Continued from the Skepticism thread]

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Head Thread
In summary, the popular belief that all aliens look the same is not supported by evidence. There are many types of aliens, each with its own unique features.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Zero in the Skepticism thread
It would be nice if it wasn't the exact same rubber alien every time, don't you think? Couldn't people create a new story every once in awhile?

I think you may be the first person to accuse the UFO crowd of lacking creativity.

Aliens have been documented in hundreds of types and sizes, from 3 inches up to 15 feet tall. Some walk on two legs and others are shaped like balls of light as small as a golf ball or as large as a house. Some aliens look like robots, metal objects, or animals. Other aliens look like giant insects or praying mantises. Some wear clothes or uniforms, and some do not. Some aliens float through walls and others walk in through open doors. Aliens have all types of skin: smooth, rough, bumpy, furry, lizard-like, etc. Their skin can be warm or cold, wet or dry. Skin colors are gray, white, tan, brown, gold, yellow, green, blue, pink, orange, red or black, along with other shades in between. Their eyes can look like a human, cat, lizard, insect, alien, etc. Some have fingernails and some don't. Some have webbed fingers and others have suction cups for fingertips or claws or pincers. Some aliens have skin that glows in the dark.
http://www.abduct.com/question/q186.htm [Broken]

An overview of the many different types of aliens
[URL [Broken]
http://www.syndicate23.com/index.cfm/resource_id/107.htm [Broken]

Sightings of aliens usually reveal that they are tiny, spindly creatures with huge heads and bulging eyes. Their faces contains on other features. They are mostly dressed in one-piece grey suits that do not have any zips or buttons. But sometimes, there are different descriptions. Therefore, there are about 6 types of aliens...
http://library.thinkquest.org/C004978F/ufo_aliens.htm?tqskip1=1&tqtime=1019

This is me:
GREY TYPE A: This is the type most commonly referred to as the greys. Also known as Zeta Reticuli from the Zeta Reticulan star system (the Bernard star) neighboring the Orion area. They function in a mode that is apparently military in nature with a rigidly defined social structure that holds science and "conquering worlds" to be the prime movers. They are normally about 4.5 ft tall with large heads and black "wrap around" eyes. They have limited facial features, slit mouth and no nose to speak of. They have evolved beyond the need for reproductive systems or digestive systems and reproduce by cloning. Their genetics are partly based on insectoidal genetics.

Now don't you feel silly?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When I was very, very young, it was well known that aliens had antennas on their heads. This was probably because at that time the most popular alien was Ray Walson in My Favorite Martian.
When Star Trek premiered on TV, the first episode showed aliens to be bald, to have huge heads, and to communicate telepathically. In a later episode a similar looking alien had the large, almond shaped eyes. (This was the episode where this alien turned out to be a marionette operated by a midget with unpleasant teeth). I think the popularity of todays grey space alien can be traced back to these two episodes of Star Trek.

Originally posted by zoobyshoe
I think the popularity of todays grey space alien can be traced back to these two episodes of Star Trek.

This can be traced at least back to Betty and Barney Hill - 1961.
http://www.nicap.dabsol.co.uk/hilldir.htm

I will have to look but it seems that similar accounts can be found from the middle ages.

The Interrupted Journey predates the Star Trek episodes by a couple/three years but, being a book, and requiring literacy, did not serve to popularize, the grey space alien we have come to know and love.

The Interrupted Journey predates the Star Trek episodes by a couple/three years but, being a book, and requiring literacy, did not serve to popularize, the grey space alien we have come to know and love.

This is one difficult part of tracking myths - routing out the causes from the effects. For example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind hired Hynek as a consultant. Many will point to current claims similar to scenes in the movie and cry foul. Obviously we might expect similarities between real reports and Hollywood if the latter seeks to imitate the claims of the former. Personally, I tend to think that Whitley Schrieber made the grays famous with his book Communion. It seemed to me that the whole subject exploded about this time. Note also that some indications exist that this image may be produced naturally by the brain in certain situations; such as when experiencing severe hypoxia [anoxia], and when subjected to strong EM [I think] near EEG frequencies..

Last edited:
Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Note also that some indications exist that this image may be produced naturally by the brain in certain situations; such as when experiencing severe hypoxia [anoxia], and when subjected to srtong requencies of EM [I think] near EEG frequencies..

By 'this image,' I assume you mean the image of a typical 'grey'? If so, that's very interesting... Any good links going more in depth into this phenomenon?

Originally posted by hypnagogue
By 'this image,' I assume you mean the image of a typical 'grey'? If so, that's very interesting... Any good links going more in depth into this phenomenon?

There should be some links in the Skeptic's Napster...there are some skeptical links in the UFO napster that may lead to this also. I have seen quite a few reports about experiments like this where the OBE is also supposedly reproduced. Many of the feelings reported as part of ET abduction experiences are claimed as well. I don't have any immediate links handy, but if you can't find anything in the napsters or otherwise let me know and I will try to find these when I have a little more time.

Edit: I should add that the images reported passing as greys is a highly subjective interpretation at best.

Last edited:
This is one difficult part of tracking myths - routing out the causes from the effects.
If you have your dates straight, there's no particular difficulty.
For example, Close Encounters of the Third Kind hired Hynek as a consultant. Many will point to current claims similar to scenes in the movie and cry foul.
These people don't have their dates straight.
Obviously we might expect similarities between real reports and Hollywood if the latter seeks to imitate the claims of the former.
True. The thing to note is when Hollywood changes and adds for effect, and the subsequent claims start to include this new, invented material, that was never included in "real life" reports before.
Personally, I tend to think that Whitley Schrieber made the grays famous with his book Communion. It seemed to me that the whole subject exploded about this time.
Don't know exactly how old you are but UFOs exploded in the 1960s, with a bang much bigger than any since. The first episode of Star Trek aired right in the middle of this, and the image of aliens as big headed, bald, telepathic soon became the norm. Before this they were reported often to look just like earthmen, but more healthy and handsome (Day The Earth Stood Still, and the George Adamski books, I suspect).
Note also that some indications exist that this image may be produced naturally by the brain in certain situations; such as when experiencing severe hypoxia [anoxia], and when subjected to strong EM [I think] near EEG frequencies..
This goes back to what I was saying some time ago about seizures. I've done some reading on the work of Michael Persinger.
The EM fields are not strong at all actually, the frequency does make a difference. (Incidently, an EEG doesn't have a frequency. It detects frequencies, but more inportantly, amplitudes, and waveforms. Spike and wave at 3 Hz, for example, is the classic absence seizure form and frequency.)

Last edited:
Don't know exactly how old you are but UFOs exploded in the 1960s, with a bang much bigger than any since. The first episode of Star Trek aired right in the middle of this, and the image of aliens as big headed, bald, telepathic soon became the norm. Before this they were reported often to look just like earthmen, but more healthy and handsome (Day The Earth Stood Still, and the George Adamski books, I suspect).

I knew that we had major flaps from '47 on, but I didn't realize the grey guys we so common then.

This goes back to what I was saying some time ago about seizures. I've done some reading on the work of Michael Persinger.
The EM fields are not strong at all actually, the frequency does make a difference. (Incidently, an EEG doesn't have a frequency. It detects frequencies, but more inportantly, amplitudes, and waveforms. Spike and wave at 3 Hz, for example, is the classic absence seizure form and frequency.)

Well, I meant fequencies of 0.5 to 26 Hz as measure by EEGs.
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Clinical_Neurosciences/louis/eegcrs.html

Edit: the field is strong in relative terms because the source is right next to the brain.

Also, did you know that Persinger thinks UFOs may be intelligent balls of light? Edit: I just spotted a paper on this. I will have to dig this up...I'm supposed to be working.

Last edited:
Persinger nutshell:

"It is possible, too, that abductees may be describing similar hallucinations due to similar brain states, as Michael Persinger argues. Likewise, the ecstatic and contemplative accounts of mystics may be similar due to similar brain states associated with bodily detachment and a sense of transcendence. Using electrodes to stimulate specific parts of the brain, Persinger has duplicated the feelings of the sensed presence and other experiences_ associated with near-death-experiences (NDEs), OBEs, mystical experience and the alien abduction experience. The language and symbols of birth, sex and death may be nothing but analogues for brain states. Shared recollections of experiences do not prove that the experiences were not delusions. The experience which abductees think of as an alien abduction experience may be due to certain brain states. These states may be associated with sleep paralysis or other forms of sleep disturbances, including mild brain seizures. Sleep paralysis occurs in the hypnagogic state or the hypnopompic state. The description abductees give of their experience--being unable to move or speak, feeling some sort of presence, feeling fear and an inability to cry out--is a list of the symptoms of_ sleep paralysis. Sleep paralysis is thought by some to account for not only many alien abduction delusions, but also other delusions involving paranormal or supernatural experiences. There are, of course, certain psychiatric disorders which are characterized by delusions. Many people with these disorders are treated with drugs which affect the production or functioning of neurotransmitters. The treatments are very successful in eliminating the delusions. Persinger has treated at least one person with anti-seizure medication which effectively stopped her from having recurring experiences of the type described by alien abductees and those with sleep paralysis. Countless schizophrenics and manic-depressives, when properly medicated, cease having delusions about God, Satan, the FBI, the CIA, and aliens."

The Skeptic's Dictionary
SkepDic.com

I knew that we had major flaps from '47 on, but I didn't realize the grey guys we so common then.
I picked up a book of abduction stories in 1987, pre-whitley, and 9 out of the ten stories included greys.
When I say Star Trek popularized the bald, big headed telepathic alien I mean this is what people in general began to concieve of an alien looking like. The extent to which people started going to therapists and being hypnotically regressed to reveal what happened during their "missing time" can only be guessed from following the literature back. I don't know of any alien-type abduction reports pre-the Hills. It was Hags, and demons, and ghosts. Encounters with the occupants of flying discs were of the Michael Rennie type - handsome, healthy alien comes to warn and enlighten. (Although there might be some stories of ugly, hostile, unhuman ones, but these are not abduction situations, if I remember correctly - I'm trying to sort out stuff I read as a kid: 10 or 11).
Well, I meant fequencies of 0.5 to 26 Hz as measure by EEGs.
http://www.brown.edu/Departments/Clinical_Neurosciences/louis/eegcrs.html
Wasn't sure from the way you phrased it.

Edit: the field is strong in relative terms because the source is right next to the brain.
Yes, he puts solenoids right up to the head, but if I remember correctly, the strength is still quite weak. The aim and frequency seem to be the important aspects.
Also, did you know that Persinger thinks UFOs may be intelligent balls of light? Edit: I just spotted a paper on this. I will have to dig this up...I'm supposed to be working.
I have no idea what you're referring to.

Last edited:
This whole thread is one big LOL!

THE TECTONIC STRAIN THEORY
AS AN EXPLANATION FOR UFO PHENOMENA:
Michael A. Persinger, Ph.D
Laurentian University
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

http://laurentian.ca/neurosci/TECTONIC.HTM#The%20Close%20Encounter [Broken]

I'm looking for intelligent balls of light.

I'm looking for intelligent balls of light.

I know. I saw an except that referred to this along with the additional comment that these orbs seem to react to people's thought's. To say the least I was very surprised to see this. At the time I was getting some other info and I thought that I knew where I was. When I went back yesterday I couldn't find it. This was listed under Persinger but it may have related to the "ELFs or ET" thread. I will make a couple of more atttempts to find this over the next few days.

If I don't post this in the next few days then consider this a retraction.

Originally posted by Zero
This whole thread is one big LOL!
I'm not sure why you say this. What do you think this thread is saying?

I'm not happy with that "This Is Your Brain On God" article. A very attitudinally biased piece of writing. I first read about Persinger in the Dec. '88 issue of Omni Magazine, and still feel that is the best "popular" (as opposed to technical) writing about Persinger I've read. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find it online.

1. Where is the scientific evidence for ET getting in someone's head?

There is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that extraterrestrial beings can physically enter and control a human brain. This concept falls under the realm of science fiction and has not been proven through scientific research or experimentation.

2. How can someone claim that ET is controlling their thoughts and actions?

Individuals who claim to have experienced ET getting in their head may be experiencing psychological or neurological disorders. These disorders can cause a person to have delusions or hallucinations, leading them to believe that an extraterrestrial entity is influencing their thoughts and actions.

3. Can ET actually communicate with humans through their thoughts?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that extraterrestrial beings have the ability to communicate telepathically with humans. While some species on Earth possess this ability, there is no evidence to suggest that it exists in extraterrestrial life forms.

4. How do we know that these claims are not just hoaxes or attention-seeking behavior?

Without concrete proof or evidence, it is difficult to determine the validity of these claims. However, it is important to approach these claims with a skeptical mindset and consider alternative explanations, such as psychological or neurological disorders, before accepting them as true.

5. Is it possible for ET to possess mind control abilities?

There is no scientific evidence to support the idea that extraterrestrial beings possess mind control abilities. While certain species on Earth have been known to have some level of control over others, there is no evidence to suggest that this is possible for extraterrestrial life forms.