Post-Iraq War: Bush's War on Terrorism & Its Goals

• News
  • Thread starter megashawn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Goals
In summary: But I don't think dropping bombs on Iraq is the answer. There are other ways to get rid of him.In summary, it seems the war with Iraq will be over in a month or two, and the next step in Bush's war on terrorism is to find other evil regimes or terrorist groups to fight.
megashawn
Science Advisor
It seems the war with Iraq will be over in a month or two, and I'm curious what the next step in bush's war on terrorism is? Remember, we are at war with terrorism, not just Iraq.

I do not want this to turn into another thread where as Greg put it, throwing countrys around as potential targets like a game of risk. It seems like we should have certain goals in eliminating these terrorist organizations.

I'm also curious as to what will happen if after the war in Iraq no WMDs are found? While I agree there are plenty of other reasons, this was bush's biggest arguing point for going to war.

And I do not know about everyone else, but does these talks of several Arab nations wanting to form a new union worry anyone? It seems they hope to work together to protect themselves from the US.

So does anyone know of any other evil regimes or terrorists groups we will be seeking out after we are finished with iraq?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's these kinds of things that I have been worried about, and I think that we'll continue to see a more foreboding geopolitical "climate", both through the public actions of governments and religious groups, and through the increased mobilization of terrorists.

Most people talk about damage done to Iraqis as a reason to oppose war...and it's a good reason, but my number 1 reason for being anti-war is summed up in the above paragraph.

You have a much more positive outlook then I do..I'm seriously doubting this war will be over in a month or two.

I think our PR is basicly shot at this point..whether we find WMD's or not..it's not going to make a huge difference on how much of the world views us unless it's an absolutely MONUMENTAL find. I suspect at some point we may also find massgraves of tortured, assassinated people this may allow us some "forgiveness". I think more will depend on how the Iraqi people react towards us after Saddam and the dirty dozen are removed from power. Noone will know the truth of how they feel until they feel secure enough to say without fear of retribution.

I think the Arab Union has been around for awhile now..they've been ineffective for the most part..just a lot of talk talk..no action. I wish they would act in a manner that was productive and conducive to peace, even for israel and palestine..I highly doubt it.

I hope to God we will not be seeking anyone after this, we can't afford it, the world can't afford it and I'm quite sick of this question. No offense.

I think, once we've divided Iraq between American companies and turned its peoples into virtual slave labor, Bush will go back to his ranch and chill out.Oh wait, does he ever leave his ranch?

Yeah Zero, when

he vacations at Camp David.

Originally posted by Zero
I think, once we've divided Iraq between American companies and turned its peoples into virtual slave labor, Bush will go back to his ranch and chill out.Oh wait, does he ever leave his ranch?

Oh yes, just like we did with Japan, Germany...and...uh huh..evil evil.

Originally posted by kat
Oh yes, just like we did with Japan, Germany...and...uh huh..evil evil.

Yeah, ok, the world political scene hasn'r changed in 50 years...sure, whatever.

Originally posted by kat
I think our PR is basicly shot at this point..whether we find WMD's or not..it's not going to make a huge difference on how much of the world views us unless it's an absolutely MONUMENTAL find.
Don't worry. One way or another, I'm sure they'll find what they want us to see.

Originally posted by megashawn

I'm also curious as to what will happen if after the war in Iraq no WMDs are found?

Also, what are all the protesters chanting "no blood for oil!" going to do if, once we enter Iraq, we find there is no oil there?

Lurch,

What was that black liquid spouting from the ground that Saddam set on fire?

I hope to God we will not be seeking anyone after this, we can't afford it, the world can't afford it and I'm quite sick of this question. No offense.

None taking. However, you must understand its a valid question, and one that people should be thinking about now before bush just starts dropping bombs.

I mean, it seems to me Bush has set a new standard for starting wars:

Step 1: Accuse country of harboring illegal weapons or some other contrband.
Step 2: Ignore the UN and continue with threats of war if they don't turn over there weapons
Step 3: When they start turning over there weapons, hurry up and go to war with them so you can accuse them of war crimes and such.

I agree that Saddam needs to be out of power. He needed to be removed 10 years ago.

My question is, what will stop Bush, or any future president from doing the above to any country that displeases him/us?

Also, what are all the protesters chanting "no blood for oil!" going to do if, once we enter Iraq, we find there is no oil there?

Well, quite simply because I think the majority of protesters are merely riding the bandwagon. I'd say half of them don't even realize what there chanting, or what the sign there holding says/means.

Uhm, being as it is a known fact that Iraq is one of the richest oil reserves in the world, what makes you think we would not find any oil? As amp asked, if there is no oil, what then is fueling the fires? Thats really a silly question isn't it?

Hello! Is anyone home? It's called sarcasm. Look it up.

Originally posted by megashawn
None taking. However, you must understand its a valid question, and one that people should be thinking about now before bush just starts dropping bombs.

I mean, it seems to me Bush has set a new standard for starting wars:

Step 1: Accuse country of harboring illegal weapons or some other contrband.
Step 2: Ignore the UN and continue with threats of war if they don't turn over there weapons
Step 3: When they start turning over there weapons, hurry up and go to war with them so you can accuse them of war crimes and such.

I agree that Saddam needs to be out of power. He needed to be removed 10 years ago.

My question is, what will stop Bush, or any future president from doing the above to any country that displeases him/us?

Well...actually..it's what you should have been asking way back in October during the congressional hearings.

1. What were the main goals of the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism?

The main goals of the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism were to eliminate the threat of terrorism and weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, to establish democracy and stability in the region, and to ultimately make the world a safer place.

2. Did the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism achieve their goals?

This is a highly debated question, and opinions vary. Some argue that the Iraq War and War on Terrorism were successful in eliminating terrorist threats in Iraq and preventing future attacks on the US. However, others argue that the war resulted in destabilization of the region and ultimately failed to achieve its goals.

3. How did the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism impact the relationship between the US and other countries?

The Iraq War and War on Terrorism strained the relationship between the US and some countries, particularly those in the Middle East. The invasion of Iraq without international approval and the use of controversial interrogation tactics sparked criticism and backlash from many countries.

4. What were the economic costs of the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism?

The economic costs of the Iraq War and War on Terrorism were significant. According to a report by Brown University, the US has spent over $2.4 trillion on the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, with an additional $1 trillion estimated for long-term care of wounded veterans. The wars also had a negative impact on the US economy, contributing to the national debt and increasing oil prices.

5. What are the lasting effects of the Iraq War and Bush's War on Terrorism?

The lasting effects of the Iraq War and War on Terrorism are still being debated and studied. Some argue that the wars contributed to the rise of extremist groups like ISIS and increased global instability. Others argue that the wars helped prevent future terrorist attacks on the US and brought about positive changes in the Middle East, such as the removal of Saddam Hussein from power.