Solving Polynomial: p(x) = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1 | Factorization

• Thread starter expscv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses factorizing equations and using different labels for functions. It is suggested that x^8 - 1 can be easily factorized using the formula a^2 - b^2 = (a+b)(a-b). It is also mentioned that p(x) can be factorized to x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1. The conversation ends with a discussion on the correct way to label functions and finding the derivative using f(x) alone. The main topic of the conversation is factorizing and using different labels for functions.
expscv
if p(x ) = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1

show that the solutions of the equation p(x ) = 0 are among the solutions of the equation x^8 - 1 = 0

hence factorse p(x ) fully over R

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Can you factorize x^8 - 1?

matt grime said:

no, but you can factorise p(x ) = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1.

although i have not got time and resources to do it, I am in a physics lesson.

and why do you use p(x)= ? i always thaught it was supposed to be f(x)=. although it doesn't matter

well, you can factorize x^8-1, and it's because you can do that easily that you can factorize p(x) {p is just a label, it doesn' mean anything, Rattis, if you were taught always to use f how did you cope if there was more than one object to label?}. You don't need any (extra special) resources, you can do it in your head.

matt grime said:

yeah i think so x^8-1 = (x-1)(x^6+x^5+x^4+x^3+x^2+x+1)

but it seems useless

and thanks chen that's a good way solve it, but i was asked to solve hence by x^8-1

You can factorize [tex]x^8 - 1[/tex] easily using [tex]a^2 - b^2 = (a + b)(a - b)[/tex] repeatedly.

But you can factorize it more than that.

Hint

let y=x^2, factorize y^4 - 1 as (y-1)(1+y+y^2+y^3), which you know. now put the x back in, what do you get? This is just saying that 1 and -1 are roots of x^8-1, and we factor them out to get...

It's just:
[tex]x^8 - 1 = (x^4 - 1)(x^4 + 1) = (x^2 - 1)(x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1) = 0[/tex]
And since p(x) can be factorized to:
[tex]p_{(x)} = x^6 + x^4 + x^2 + 1 = (x^2 + 1)(x^4 + 1) = 0[/tex]

wow surpised how came i never thinked abt that? ~~~

matt grime said:
well, you can factorize x^8-1, and it's because you can do that easily that you can factorize p(x) {p is just a label, it doesn' mean anything, Rattis, if you were taught always to use f how did you cope if there was more than one object to label?}. You don't need any (extra special) resources, you can do it in your head.

resources as in time, and the fact that the teacher dosent notice me

rattis said: and why do you use p(x)= ? i always thaught it was supposed to be f(x)=. although it doesn't matter
matt grime said:. . .p(x) {p is just a label, it doesn' mean anything, Rattis, if you were taught always to use f how did you cope if there was more than one object to label?}.
Actually, it is f(x), where f stands for function and the number inside your parenthesis (or x in this case) is the variable that the function is operating on.

Paden Roder

PRodQuanta, are you saying that it's wrong to use other letters than f to indicate a function...?

So, I've gto f(x) =sin(x), and I want another function to equal cos(x), and I must call that f as well must I?

doesnt matter i guess, just incdicate group/function 01 =f(x) group/function 02 = g(x)

PRodQuanta said:
Actually, it is f(x), where f stands for function and the number inside your parenthesis (or x in this case) is the variable that the function is operating on.
Can you please define the derivative of the product of two different functions using f(x) alone?

Hey, that's just what I have been taught. It must be wrong then. Sorry.

Paden Roder

Yeah, it's pretty wrong, considering there are functions like sin(x), det(A), log(x) and *gasp* [tex]\phi(n)[/tex]. ;)

If you don't see the sneaky way to factor it, the most straightforward approach is to just compute the 8 roots of x8-1 and then plug them all into 1 + x2 + x4 + x6.

Or sum a gp.

1. What is the process for factoring a polynomial?

The process for factoring a polynomial involves finding the common factors among all terms, grouping terms with common factors, and using factoring techniques such as the difference of squares or the sum/difference of cubes.

2. How do I know when a polynomial is completely factored?

A polynomial is completely factored when all terms are written as products of irreducible polynomials. This means that there are no more common factors that can be factored out and no more factoring techniques that can be applied.

3. Can you factor a polynomial with complex numbers?

Yes, polynomials with complex coefficients can be factored using the same techniques as polynomials with real coefficients. However, the resulting factors may also include complex numbers.

4. What is the difference between factoring and solving a polynomial?

Factoring a polynomial involves breaking it down into simpler factors. Solving a polynomial involves finding the values of the variable(s) that make the polynomial equal to zero, also known as the roots or solutions of the polynomial.

5. How can factoring help in solving polynomial equations?

Factoring can help in solving polynomial equations by making it easier to identify the roots of the polynomial. Once the polynomial is factored, the solutions can be found by setting each factor equal to zero and solving for the variable(s).