Careers in Engineering for Math & Physics Majors - Keene State College

In summary, if you are currently a junior majoring in Math and Physics at Keene State College, it may be difficult for you to become an electrical engineer without further education or experience. However, if you pursue a graduate degree in EE, it can better prepare you for an engineering career. As for transferring for your final year of college, it may not be the best option as it can take more than one year to change majors and many companies prefer to hire engineers with further education or experience. Ultimately, your skills as a physicist can still be valuable in the field of electrical engineering.
KSCphysics
I am currently a Junior at Keene state college majoring in Math and physics.. would i still beable to become an electrical engineer? or if not, what sort of careers could be looking at in the future?

should I try to transfer for my last year in college?

Physics news on Phys.org
KSCphysics said:
I am currently a Junior at Keene state college majoring in Math and physics.. would i still beable to become an electrical engineer? or if not, what sort of careers could be looking at in the future?

Well, yes & no. If you stay in physics you might be able to talk your way into a job as a EE but it will be tough. As a physicist you can work on electrical problems but there are some tasks you won't have the training for.

If you want to go to grad school then your physics BS will be good preparation & you can get a master's deg. in EE. Then you really will be an engineer.

should I try to transfer for my last year in college?

This is a tough question. If you are still young & money is not a problem you can transfer but it will almost certainly take more than 1 year to change majors & many colleges have rules about how many units you must take before you can say you have a degree from that college.

Your best bet may be grad school since many companies are reluctant to hire engineers with only a BS. Out of the last 40 candidates I helped interview, only about 7 had a BS with no experience & we hired none of them. Twenty years ago the same company had the exact opposite policy where they almost never hired MS or PhD's. (That's how I got in!).

On the other hand, one of the best circuit designers I ever worked with has a PhD in Material Science but he worked there 10 years before they gave him a shot at his first design.

See my thread "Physics or Engineering, which way to go" at General Discussions.
If you are a good Physicist then you can be a good design engineer. My experience says that engineers are not expert in details of a design. A Physicist`s work starts where engineers can't survive. All of the good electrical designing organizations have Physicists with them. A small organization can't afford u.

If an engineer walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it on the fire and puts it out.

If a physicist walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he takes the bucket of water and pours it eloquently around the fire and let's the fire put itself out.

If a mathematician walks into a room and sees a fire in the middle and a bucket of water in the corner, he convinces himself there is a solution and leaves.

1. What are the main career options for math and physics majors in engineering?

Some of the main career options for math and physics majors in engineering include working as a mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, civil engineer, aerospace engineer, or software engineer. These careers often involve designing, analyzing, and implementing various systems and structures using mathematical and scientific principles.

2. Do I need to have a specific engineering degree to work in the field with a math or physics background?

While having a degree in engineering can be beneficial, it is not always necessary to work in the field with a math or physics background. Many engineering positions value problem-solving skills and a strong understanding of math and physics principles, which can be gained through a related degree. Some employers may also offer on-the-job training or internships to help bridge any knowledge gaps.

3. What skills do math and physics majors bring to the field of engineering?

Math and physics majors possess a strong foundation in analytical thinking and problem-solving, as well as a deep understanding of mathematical and scientific principles. These skills are valuable in the engineering field, where complex systems and structures must be designed and analyzed. Math and physics majors are also skilled in data analysis, critical thinking, and communication, which are all important for success in engineering.

4. Are there any specific courses that math and physics majors should take to prepare for a career in engineering?

While the specific courses may vary depending on the type of engineering, some recommended courses for math and physics majors include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, mechanics, and electromagnetism. These courses provide a strong foundation in mathematical and scientific principles that are commonly used in engineering. It is also beneficial for students to take courses in computer programming and design, as these skills are highly valued in the field of engineering.

5. What are the job prospects like for math and physics majors in the field of engineering?

The job prospects for math and physics majors in engineering are generally positive, as there is a high demand for professionals with strong analytical and problem-solving skills. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the employment of engineers is projected to grow 4% from 2019 to 2029, which is about as fast as the average for all occupations. Additionally, math and physics majors have the potential to earn higher salaries in the engineering field compared to other industries.