Electric Currents and Resistance

In summary, the high voltage transmission line has a resistance of 0.06 ohms/km and carries a current of 1337A. It is at a potential of 500kV and runs for 191km. The power loss due to resistance in the line is 20.5MW.
phystudent
A high voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.06 ohms/km carries a current of 1337A. The line is at a potential of 500kV at the power station and carries the current to a city lovated 191km from the power station.
What is teh power loss due to resistance in the line? Answer in units of MW.

I know the formulas, but don't know how to start it or what the potential means.

Physics news on Phys.org
First find the resistance of the line. You have all the information you need.

The potential is the voltage, use that with Ohms law to find the current.

Apply the same power equation as in the last problem.

OK, this is what I have done so far.

I used the .06 ohms/km and multiplied it bye 191km, to get the resistance. I also found the original power by multiplying the 1337A by the 500000V. So...I have 11.46 ohms of resistance and the original power is 6.685e8. Now I think I should plug the 11.46 ohms and the 1337A into the P = I^2 R formula. Any corrections?

That sounds good to me.

It's not working... the online homework service said it was wrong. I took the original number and the end number and subtracted them, then converted to MW and got 648.01, but that is not right apparently. Any help?

How did you get to 648.01MW? I get 20.5MW using RI^2. Are you sure you are using the right values?

Thanks for the help but the homework is passed due, I tried it again and got 20.5MW

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a material. It is measured in units of amperes (A) and is typically symbolized by the letter "I".

2. How is electric current generated?

Electric current is generated when there is a potential difference, or voltage, between two points in a circuit. This causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current.

3. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how much a material or component hinders the flow of electric current. It is measured in units of ohms (Ω) and is typically symbolized by the letter "R".

4. What factors affect resistance?

The resistance of a material or component is affected by its length, cross-sectional area, and the material it is made of. Other factors such as temperature, type of connection, and presence of impurities can also impact resistance.

5. How does resistance affect electric current?

The higher the resistance, the lower the electric current will be. This is because a higher resistance means a greater hindrance to the flow of electrons. Inversely, a lower resistance will result in a higher electric current.