Estimating Mass Uncertainty of Mesons Using the Uncertainty Principle

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that the uncertainty in the mass energy of a particle is related to the lifetime of the particle.
Arieniel
Hello, I am in first year physics and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a question. Its dealing with Heisenberg's Uncertainty prinicple:

A meson is an unstable particle produced in high-energy paritcle collisions. Its rest energy is about 135 MeV and it exisits for an average lifetime of only 8.70 x 10^-17 s before decaying into two gamma rays. Using the uncertainty principle, estimate the fractional uncertainty delta m/m in its mass determination.
thankyou ahead of time for the help !
Arieniel

Physics news on Phys.org
One of the uncertainty relations is ΔE x ΔT > h-bar/2. (You can interpret the lifetime as the "uncertainty" in time.) Does that help?

And welcome to the Physics Forums, by the way! :smile:

Last edited:
Further Question

Thanks for welcoming me to board,
i know that there is an uncertainity equation of delta x delta p is >/ h/2
does this come into play and where does the energy come into play, because i found delta E

The uncertainty in the mass energy of this meson (mc^2) is related to the lifetime of the particle via:
{uncertainty in mc^(2)}*t ~ h-bar.

The reason this works is more subtle than your course goes into, but it has to do with the "cross section" that the particles see as they collide to create this short-lived particle. One can calculate the transition rate from the quantum state {collection of some particles} to the state where you have a meson, and this will depend on the range of energies for which this transition can happen (ie, the uncertainty in the energy to create the meson). The inverse of this transition rate is the lifetime of the meson. So you can see at least where the inverse relationship between the uncertainty in mass-energy of the meson and its lifetime.

The ΔE can be interpreted as the uncertainty in the meson's mass (rest energy). Express it in units of MeV.

Note: I was just struggling with a more complete answer, when I noticed that Javier beat me to it.

I sincerely thank you both! You have saved me from burning the midnight oil! I appreciate this greatly!

Cheers
Arieniel

Related to Estimating Mass Uncertainty of Mesons Using the Uncertainty Principle

1. What is quantum physics?

Quantum physics is the branch of physics that studies the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It explains how these particles behave and interact with each other, and has led to many important discoveries and technologies.

2. How does quantum physics differ from classical physics?

Classical physics is based on the laws of Newtonian mechanics and describes the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level. Quantum physics, on the other hand, explains the behavior of particles at a microscopic level, and is governed by different principles such as superposition and uncertainty.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we know one of these quantities, the less certain we can be about the other.

4. What is superposition in quantum physics?

Superposition is a fundamental principle in quantum physics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. It is the basis for phenomena such as wave-particle duality and quantum entanglement.

5. How is quantum physics applied in everyday life?

Quantum physics has many practical applications in our daily lives, including in technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as medicine, telecommunications, and energy production.