Who is responsible for bringing peace through physics?

• Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, there were multiple suggestions for what has contributed most to world peace, including the Hubble Telescope, nuclear weapons, the photograph of Earth from space, and medical applications of physics. Some also argued that it is not a specific discovery or invention, but rather the way it is used that determines its impact on peace.
Loren Booda
What physicist, physical experiment, theory or philosophy has best contributed to world peace?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll let you know as soon as I see world peace.
Damn, that was too deep for me. I got to make something up. I'll say it should be "The Hubble Telescope" Who can look at that Deep Field picture with all those galaxies and not feel humbled and awed? Makes me want to call all humans my brother.
Damn, damn got too deep for me again.
How about the guy who invented the money scanner machines. Now I can go to the gas station and not have to deal with some snotty cashier. I can put the money in myself and pump it myself and be on my way. Now that I think about it though, the damn thing only works half the time and that makes me want to kick someone's butt. So forget I said that one. Hell, like I said before I'll tell you what most contributed to world peace as soon as we aren't at war.

I think there is no doubt. Nuclear weapons prevented WWIII. There would surely have been a direct, massive struggle between NATO and the Warsaw pact if we were not terrified that we'd exerminate ourselves.

Now, if we could only un-invent them.

Njorl

I agree with you Njorl. But I think that photograph of the Earth from space - the "big blue marble" - did more to raise the consciousness of people all over the world than anything else in my lifetime. It just said to everyone, we are all togther on this beautiful finite ball. Take it seriously.

I'd say every physicist contributes to world peace by discovering the truths of the universe, its only when people try to use these discoveries to their own advantage that peace dies in the name of science. People like the military, politicians, and dictactors are the ones who bring out the bad in science, therefore, no one sees the potential good. I do agree with njorl though when comes to the prevention of world war III by atomic bombs.

I would have to insist that all medical applications of physics breakthroughs be considered as contributions to peace. Ultrasound, CAT-scan, PET-scan, NMR, mass-specroscopy etc; can anyone of these things be attributed to one person?

What is the definition of peace in physics?

Peace in physics refers to a state of equilibrium or balance in a system, where all forces and energies are in balance and there is no conflict or disturbance.

How is peace achieved in physics?

Peace in physics is achieved through the laws of nature and the principles of balance and symmetry. This can be seen in various physical phenomena such as the conservation of energy and momentum.

Can peace be disrupted in physics?

Yes, peace in physics can be disrupted by external forces or disturbances that disrupt the balance and equilibrium of a system. This can result in changes in energy or motion.

What role does peace play in the study of physics?

Peace is a fundamental concept in physics as it allows us to understand the behavior and interactions of physical systems. It helps us to predict and explain the outcomes of various experiments and observations.

Is peace a universal concept in physics?

Yes, peace is a universal concept in physics as it applies to all physical systems and phenomena, regardless of scale or location. It is a fundamental aspect of the laws and principles that govern the universe.