Find Distance of Separation for Magnetic Repulsion of Two Wires

In summary, the distance between the wires so that the top wire will be held in place by the magnetic repulsion is 4 x pi e - 7 T.m/A.
Aerospace
A 1.59 m long wire weighing 0.0668 N/m is suspended directly above an infinitely straight wire. The top wire carries a current of 32.4 A and the bottom wire carries a current of 24.5 A. Find the distance of separation between the wire so that the top wire will be held in place by the magnetic repulsion.

Ok. So the formula that I wanted to use was
F/l = (u x I1 x I2) / (2 x pi x a)
where F/l is 0.0668 N/m
l = 1.59 m
u = 4 x pi e - 7 T.m/A
I1 = 32.4 A
I2 = 24.5 A
a = ?

But this is not a parallel wire question, it's a perpendicular wire question. If I use the formula B = (u x I) / (2 x pi x r) where r is the perpendicular distance to the wire, then will I have to ignore the current of the bottom wire? and I don't have the B.

I'm confused. Can anyone help? Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Aerospace said:
But this is not a parallel wire question, it's a perpendicular wire question. If I use the formula B = (u x I) / (2 x pi x r) where r is the perpendicular distance to the wire, then will I have to ignore the current of the bottom wire? and I don't have the B.
Sure it's a parallel wire question. The current in the bottom wire creates the magnetic field that repels the current in the top wire. You have to figure out how far apart the wires must be so that the net force on the top wire segment is zero. Don't forget about gravity.

I still don't get why it's a parallel wire question. And I am not sure what you mean by using gravity.
could you please elaborate?

The two wires are placed one above another, with the infinitely long wire fixed in its place. The top wire, which weighs 0.0668 N/m, is supposed to stay suspended above the bottom wire. This would only happen when the repulsion force between the two wires cancels the weight of the top wire, making the net force on it equal to zero.

[tex]\Sigma F = F_m - mg = \frac{\mu I_1I_2}{2\pi d}l - mg = 0[/tex]

Of course you don't have the length of the top wire, so you also don't have its weight, so just divide both terms by the length.

Last edited:
Chen said:
Of course you don't have the length of the top wire, so you also don't have its weight, so just divide both terms by the length.
The length of the top wire is given. :smile:

Aerospace, listen to Chen!

Doc Al said:
The length of the top wire is given. :smile:
Oh right... I didn't think it would given because it's redundant, since you have the weight per length unit and not just the weight.

Thank You!

Thank you so much. It still took me a while to get it, but I finally got it! Thanks to both of you :)

1. How do two wires repel each other magnetically?

Two wires repel each other magnetically due to the interaction between their magnetic fields. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. When two wires with electric currents in the same direction are placed near each other, their magnetic fields interact and cause a repulsive force between the wires.

2. What is the formula for calculating the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires?

The formula for calculating the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires is given by: d = (μ₀ x I₁ x I₂) / (2π x r x B), where d is the distance of separation, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I₁ and I₂ are the currents flowing through the wires, r is the radius of the wires, and B is the magnetic field strength.

3. How does the distance between two wires affect their magnetic repulsion?

The distance between two wires directly affects their magnetic repulsion. As the distance increases, the repulsive force between the wires decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a weaker interaction between the fields of the two wires.

4. Can the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires be negative?

No, the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires cannot be negative. This is because the distance is a physical quantity that represents the physical separation between the wires. A negative distance would not make sense in this context.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the distance of separation for magnetic repulsion of two wires. These include the accuracy of the measurements of the wire radius, current, and magnetic field strength, as well as any external magnetic fields or other sources of interference that may affect the results.