Sending a message back through time

• Thread starter jaguar99
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of time travel and the concept of time being a man-made measure. The idea of memories and how they are connected to time is also explored. There is speculation on the role of sleep and altered states of consciousness in accessing a broader reality. The conversation ends with a discussion on the brain and the potential for a circuit responsible for our sense of time.
jaguar99
From what I heard (Or at least i think I remember)...

Stephan Hawking predicted that it is possible for some kind of sub-atomic particles to travel back through time. So what if we could build a device to send sub-atomic messages back through time in a way like Morse code? Can we send ourselves messages into the past...? First we'd need to create this device to send ourselves messages and then build a device to listen to them. I wonder what would happen if we built a detector to receive these messages right now. Could it be possible that we're sending ourselves messages back through time right now and we don't even know it? Like natural disasters and stuff... hrmm... I wonder...

Physics news on Phys.org
first, time only exists in this, the physical universe. in the greater reality, it is most probable that your 'present' is wherever your consciousness is focused. ergo, when the conscious mind is silent (as in sleep) is seems logical that you can visit a past time period.

not scientific proof, but have you ever had a serious problem that appears unsolveable, go to bed and wake the next morning, still troubled. then, when you revisit the problem a solution flashes through your mind like a bullet. then many years later think about the event and wonder how you found that solution?

that future, thinking about the past, influences the past. as they say, the present is the product of the future and the past.

i believe it is a safe prediction that QM will eventually provide us with the information to make such time events more understandable and more obvious.

peace,

Originally posted by olde drunk
first, time only exists in this, the physical universe. in the greater reality, it is most probable that your 'present' is wherever your consciousness is focused. ergo, when the conscious mind is silent (as in sleep) is seems logical that you can visit a past time period.

not scientific proof, but have you ever had a serious problem that appears unsolveable, go to bed and wake the next morning, still troubled. then, when you revisit the problem a solution flashes through your mind like a bullet. then many years later think about the event and wonder how you found that solution?

that future, thinking about the past, influences the past. as they say, the present is the product of the future and the past.

i believe it is a safe prediction that QM will eventually provide us with the information to make such time events more understandable and more obvious.

peace,

Very interesting.

Although the only probablem I can find with time is that the only reason we can even perseive time is because we have memories. Without memory would we even be able to understand time, (or proof it exists) would time even exist if you cannot remember something? Because in realty time is just a way we came up with to show how objects relate to one another in their positions in the universe. If I had the ability to take all the matter in the universe and put it back to where it was yesterday, would i be reversing time or would I have simply put everything back to where it was yesterday. Does time even exist?

Originally posted by jaguar99
Very interesting.

Although the only probablem I can find with time is that the only reason we can even perseive time is because we have memories. Without memory would we even be able to understand time, (or proof it exists) would time even exist if you cannot remember something? Because in realty time is just a way we came up with to show how objects relate to one another in their positions in the universe. If I had the ability to take all the matter in the universe and put it back to where it was yesterday, would i be reversing time or would I have simply put everything back to where it was yesterday. Does time even exist?

oh boy, time is a man made measure so that our brain doesn't short circuit. this is also why we need an altered state (sleep, meditation, etc.) to access the broader reality.

teaser - can you concieve of a time when you didn't exist? if, we have conscious memories of this physical life, we must have subconscious memories of our total existence, IMHO.

yesterday's matter is always there for you to visit as you need, so is tomorrow's. they are like children's blocks for us to play with and learn (about the universe, not our ABC's).

peace,

Anythings possible! :) (well almost)

time is a man made measure so that our brain doesn't short circuit. this is also why we need an altered state (sleep, meditation, etc.) to access the broader reality.

if, we have conscious memories of this physical life, we must have subconscious memories of our total existence, IMHO

But if time is a man-made measure and time does not exist why would we have memories in the first place and why would we have subconscious memories when we don't need to remember anything since there is no time? Would'nt we simply know all and be all, always?

ok my brain is going to start to hurt soon. I need to sleep. :)

Originally posted by jaguar99
But if time is a man-made measure and time does not exist why would we have memories in the first place and why would we have subconscious memories when we don't need to remember anything since there is no time? Would'nt we simply know all and be all, always?
Our idea of time is, in fact, heavily dependent on the phenomenon of memory. From what I've read about the brain, I think it is highly likely that neurologists will one day find a circuit in the brain that is responsible for our sense of time, just as there are circuits that construct our perception of color from what are merely different frequencies of light.

I suppose that if we could isolate what it is our brain constructs our sense of time from we would learn a great deal about time that we don't now know. I read that the cells of the thalamus, which is an essential part of the brain for consciousness, pulsate at 40 cps. Our sense of time may be a kind of differential between that frequency and some frequency outside of us.

OmniOmni?

jaguar99 said:
Would'nt we simply know all and be all, always?

Are you suggesting by this, jaguar99, that if time didn't exist then we would be "omni-omni", or all everything? Do you mean that we would know, feel, see, (insert rest of senses here :biggrin: ) and be everything all at once?

On a slightly different subject, are you saying that time does, or doesn't exist? :confused:

Last edited:

1. How is it possible to send a message back through time?

At this point in time, it is not currently possible to physically send a message back through time. While there have been theories and experiments exploring the concept of time travel, it remains a highly debated and unproven concept in the scientific community.

2. What are some theories on how sending a message back through time could potentially work?

Some theories suggest that sending a message back through time could be achieved through the use of wormholes, black holes, or cosmic strings. These concepts involve manipulating the fabric of space-time in order to create a pathway between two points in time.

3. Is it possible to send a message back through time using technology?

As mentioned earlier, the concept of time travel is still considered to be purely theoretical. While there have been technological advancements in other areas, such as communication and transportation, that have allowed for faster and more efficient ways of sending information and people across great distances, sending a message back through time remains outside the realm of current technology.

4. Could sending a message back through time have any negative consequences?

There is no way to definitively answer this question, as it is purely hypothetical. However, many scientists and philosophers have raised concerns about the potential negative repercussions of altering the past, including the possibility of creating paradoxes and unforeseen consequences that could drastically change the course of history.

5. Are there any real-world examples of messages being sent back through time?

No, there are no known examples of messages being sent back through time. While there have been instances of people claiming to have received messages from the future, these claims have not been scientifically verified and are often attributed to hoaxes or misinterpretations of events.