Inductive Power Transfer Device: What Is It and How Does It Work?

• Thread starter enigma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary, the conversation is discussing an inductor type device that can transfer AC power to a separate, unconnected inductor. The person is looking for a term to use when searching for this type of device. Suggestions include "transformer" or "resonator," but the person clarifies that the two induction coils need to be separated and "magnetic amplifier" or "isolation amplifier" may be more appropriate search terms. Someone also mentions that they have used this principle before and referred to it as "inductive coupling" or "inductive coupler." The conversation ends with a thank you from the original poster.
enigma
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

I'm looking for general information on an inductor type device which transfers AC power to a seperate, unconnected (but nearby) inductor. If I were to try googling it, what should my searchword be?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you mean a transformer? Or possibly a resonator?

Njorl

Kinda like a transformer, but the two induction coils need to be able to be seperated.

The application is this: powered chassis, unpowered module which draws power from and can (and will) be removed from the chassis. The environment is such that plugs would not be an optimal design choice due to excessive dust.

"Unconnected" connotes "no common core" --- you can try "magnetic amplifier" --- it's a mixed bag in terms of actual magnetic amplifiers and assorted AC/DC, DC/DC, AC/AC, and DC/AC converters. You are perhaps looking for "isolation amplifiers." Trying for electrical isolation?

My electric toothbrush works like that.

Originally posted by enigma
Kinda like a transformer, but the two induction coils need to be able to be seperated.

The application is this: powered chassis, unpowered module which draws power from and can (and will) be removed from the chassis. The environment is such that plugs would not be an optimal design choice due to excessive dust.

I have never heard the device given a name. I have used this principle, and we have always called it inductive coupling. Maybe inductive coupler is a good name.

Njorl

Thanks all!

1. What is the purpose of the device I am looking for?

The purpose of the device you are looking for can vary depending on the specific device. It could be for communication, entertainment, work, or a combination of these. It is important to know the purpose of the device in order to determine which one will best suit your needs.

2. How do I know which device is right for me?

To determine which device is right for you, it is important to consider your needs, budget, and personal preferences. Research different devices and their features to see which one aligns with your needs and fits within your budget.

3. What factors should I consider when choosing a device?

Some factors to consider when choosing a device include its compatibility with other devices, storage capacity, battery life, processing speed, and durability. It is also important to consider the brand and customer reviews to ensure reliability and quality.

4. Can I use multiple devices for different purposes?

Yes, you can use multiple devices for different purposes. For example, you may use a laptop for work, a tablet for entertainment, and a smartphone for communication. It is important to make sure these devices are compatible with each other and can sync data if needed.

5. How often should I upgrade my device?

The frequency of device upgrades depends on personal preference and the device's lifespan. Some people prefer to upgrade every year to have the latest technology, while others may wait a few years. It is important to consider the device's performance and whether it still meets your needs before deciding to upgrade.