Solving Pressure with Gases in a Diving Bell

In summary, a diving bell with a height of 2.10 m is lowered into sea water at a depth of 86.0 m. The water temperature is 4.0°C and the bell is in thermal equilibrium with the water. Using the equation P(z) = gpz + P_0, the pressure at this depth can be calculated. Assuming no air dissolves in the water, the volume of air in the cylinder at this depth can be calculated using the equation P(z)V(z)/T(z) = P_0 V_0/T_0. The height to which the water rises can then be determined using the equation h = L [1-V(z)/V_0]. The minimum pressure required to exp
Antepolleo
Here's the problem:

4. A diving bell in the shape of a cylinder with a height of 2.10 m is closed at the upper end and open at the lower end. The bell is lowered from air into sea water ( p = 1.025 g/cm3). The air in the bell is initially at 16.0°C. The bell is lowered to a depth (measured to the bottom of the bell) of 47.0 fathoms or 86.0 m. At this depth the water temperature is 4.0°C, and the bell is in thermal equilibrium with the water.

(a) How high does sea water rise in the bell?

(b) To what minimum pressure must the air in the bell be raised to expel the water that entered?

My question is, how are you supposed to figure this out without knowing the diameter of the bell?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm.. I tried an approach where I let the number of moles of the gas be constant, but it got me nowhere.

My approach would be this...

P(z) = gpz + P_0

where P(z) is the pressure as a function of depth z below sea level,
g is acceleration of gravity, p (rho) is density of water, P_0 is pressure at sea level (i.e. one atmosphere).

You have been given p and z, and you can look up g and P_0, so you can solve for P(z).

Then if we make the assumption that none of the air in the cylinder dissolves in the water as the cylinder is lowered (number of moles is constant, as you say), we should have

P(z)V(z)/T(z) = P_0 V_0/T_0

where V(z) is the volume of air in the cylinder at depth z, T(z) is the absolute temperature at depth z, V_0 is the volume of the entire cylinder, and T_0 is the absolute temperature at sea level.

You can solve this for V(z), since you know all the other quantities.

The height to which the water rises is h = L [1-V(z)/V_0] where L is the length of the cylinder.

Last edited:

1. How does pressure change in a diving bell as it descends into the water?

The pressure inside a diving bell increases as it descends into the water. This is because the weight of the water above the diving bell creates a force that compresses the air inside, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. What happens to the volume of gas in a diving bell as it descends?

The volume of gas in a diving bell decreases as it descends into the water. This is due to the increase in pressure, which causes the gas particles to move closer together, resulting in a decrease in volume. This is known as Boyle's Law.

3. How is the gas pressure inside a diving bell regulated?

The gas pressure inside a diving bell is regulated by adjusting the amount of gas that is pumped into the bell. This is typically done by a gas supply system that is controlled by the divers inside the bell. The gas supply system maintains a constant pressure to ensure the safety and comfort of the divers.

4. What is the maximum depth a diving bell can safely descend?

The maximum depth a diving bell can safely descend depends on several factors, including the design and construction of the bell, the gas supply system, and the experience and training of the divers. Generally, a diving bell can safely descend to depths of up to 300 meters (984 feet).

5. How does the gas pressure inside a diving bell affect the divers?

The gas pressure inside a diving bell affects the divers by exerting a force on their bodies. As the pressure increases, the divers may experience discomfort in their ears and sinuses, and they may also have difficulty breathing. It is important for divers to equalize the pressure in their ears and to breathe using a specialized gas mixture to prevent any adverse effects.