Resolving the Resistance Paradox

In summary, Beckett explains that current and resistance are in a linear relationship, but power is exponential. He also explains that maximum power occurs near the zero resistance point, and minimum power occurs when the current goes to zero and the resistance goes to infinity.
beckett
Hi folks,

Please, please help me, i know the answer to my question must have an easy answer but i can't figure it out.
Consider a simple circuit with a piece of copper wire, a switch and a battery. I know that when i close the switch the PD drives the electrons around the wire at a rate which is dependant on the total resistance of the wire. Heat will be produced as the electrons accelerate for short periods of time, collide with the copper atoms, then re-accelerate etc etc.
Now this makes me think that if the resistance of the wire was greater then there would be more collisions and hence more heat produced but when i do the calculations eg P=VI i can deduce that the opposite is true i.e. more heat is produced if i lower the resistance because the current will increase and thus the power will increase. This also makes sense to me as i can imagine as the electrons speed up they will collide with atoms at greater force and hence 'produce' more heat. The thing is i know that the latter is correct by experiment but can someone explain to me in easy terms what is happening and where i am going wrong in my thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, your current and resistance are in a linear relationship but the power is exponential.

So with a fixed voltage from a battery, examining current^2 * resistance = power you can quickly see the significance on the heat produced by changing the current compared to changing the resistance.

Cliff

Cheers, that makes perfect sense, so in a way would you say my assumption was correct i.e. raising the resistance does increase the power output but doing this in reality means current is reduced and hence the apparent paradox is you can't raise the resistance AND maintain the current, all other things equal??

By the way is my idea of how the electrons behave under the influence of the voltage correct??

Thanks again

Beckett

I think much of your problem is coming from the mental model you have of current flow. Electrons do not ever move very fast or very far. Compared to the signal velocity, electron drift velocity is very low in normal circuit conditions. What is more important then the electron velocity is the NUMBER of collisions occurring. The higher the current flow the MORE collisions there will be thus more power is required and more power is dissipated.
Even this collision model may fail in some circumstances because we are applying macroscopic concepts to the subatomic world, the only way to fully understand the mechanisms occurring at this level is through the eyes of Quantum Mechanics. Just keep in mind that electrons are NOT hard little billiard balls bouncing along through the wire.

Ok, I think you overlooked ohm's law and that's where you arrived at the paradox.

Remember, voltage = current * resistance. We have a fixed voltage with a battery. But we can determine that if current increases by a percentage, resistance will decrease by the same percentage. If I double the resistance, I end up with half the current.

But power is different. If I double the resistance, I get 1/4 the power. If I triple the resistance, I get 1/9 the power.

Maximum power occurs near the zero resistance point as current goes to infinity, minimum power occurs when the current goes to zero and the resistance goes to infinity.

Cliff

1. What is the resistance paradox?

The resistance paradox refers to the phenomenon where individuals who are faced with challenges or obstacles often experience an increase in motivation and determination, rather than giving up. This is contrary to what one might expect, as resistance is typically associated with negativity and hindrance.

2. What causes the resistance paradox?

The exact cause of the resistance paradox is not fully understood, but it is believed to be a combination of psychological, social, and biological factors. Some research suggests that the human brain is wired to respond to challenges with increased motivation and drive, while others argue that it is a learned behavior influenced by societal and cultural norms.

3. How can the resistance paradox be beneficial?

The resistance paradox can be beneficial in various ways. It can lead to personal growth and development, as individuals push themselves to overcome challenges and achieve their goals. It can also create a sense of resilience and adaptability, as people learn to navigate and overcome obstacles in their lives.

4. Are there any downsides to the resistance paradox?

While the resistance paradox can have positive effects, it can also have negative consequences. In some cases, individuals may become overly fixated on overcoming challenges and may neglect other aspects of their lives. It can also lead to burnout and exhaustion if one constantly faces obstacles without taking breaks or seeking support.

5. How can the resistance paradox be managed?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution for managing the resistance paradox, as it can manifest differently for each individual. However, some strategies that may help include setting realistic goals, practicing self-care, seeking support from others, and reframing challenges as opportunities for growth. It is also important to recognize when the resistance paradox becomes overwhelming and take steps to address it.