Why Is Calculating the Speed of the 0.89g Particle Post-Collision Challenging?

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the speed of a 0.89 g particle after a collision with a 4.5 g particle moving at 170 m/s. The participants mention using momentum conservation to solve the problem, but disagree on the correct answer and also consider energy conservation as a possible solution. However, there is not enough information provided to solve the problem accurately.
Xamfy19
I have doubt for the following question. Please help.

A 4.5 g particle moving at 170 m/s collides with 0.89 g particle initially at rest. After the collision the two particles have velocities that are directed 26 deg on either side of the original line of motion of the 4.5 g particle. What is the speed of the 0.89 g particl after the collision?

I used momentum conservation for X and Y direction to obtain 955 m/s, which was wrong.

Px = 4.5 * 170 = 4.5V1cos26 + 0.89V2cos26

for Py
4.5 V1Sin26 = 0.89 V2sin26

Thanks alot.

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have to use momentum conservation to solve this. And momentum conservation will be correct.

But you haven't supplied enough information to solve the problem. Is the collision perfectly elastic? Partially inelastic? Is energy conserved?

cookiemonster

Moved from accidental new thread (which I will now delete):
Originally posted by Xamfy19
That all I have from the question. I assumed the system is elastic collision. I use momentum conservation to solve and got two different answers. One is 955 m/s and another is 478 m/s. Then, I used energy conserve to prove and both of the answer are wrong. I wonder where I did wrong.
Thanks

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity. In other words, it is a measure of how difficult it is to stop an object that is moving.

2. How is momentum calculated?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass (m) by its velocity (v). The formula for momentum is p = mv.

3. What are the units of momentum?

The units of momentum are kg∙m/s, which represent the product of mass (kg) and velocity (m/s).

4. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant. In other words, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction.

5. How does mass and velocity affect momentum?

The greater the mass or velocity of an object, the greater its momentum. This means that a larger or faster-moving object will be more difficult to stop than a smaller or slower-moving object, as it has more momentum.