Calculating Inductance of a Tightly Wound Solenoid

In summary, the individual is struggling to find the inductance of a solenoid given the solenoid length, diameter, and other parameters such as the change in current and time. They realize they need to find the number of turns (N) in order to calculate the inductance, and ask for help. The conversation concludes with the individual figuring out how to find N using the given information.
karbear
I can't seem to figure out how to solve this problem. If you are given the solenoid length and diameter. And told it consists of a single layer of tightly wound wire with the diameter of the wire given, the change in current thru the wire given, and the change in time given how would you find the inductance? It seems to me I need N. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
"length" --- "tightly wound" --- "diameter of wire" --- "need N" --- hmmmmmmmmm.

I think there is a missing piece of information. You could get the inductance from EL=-L(di/dt), but you don't have the voltage drop across the inductor. Likewise, you could get it from the formula for the inductance of a solenoid, but as you say you don't have "N".

Take a closer look at the problem, and see if you aren't overlooking some given info.

Try to find N from the length of solenoid and diameter of wire.

Thanks guys..I used the length of solenoid and the diameter of the wire to find N. Don't know why I couldn't seem to think of that myself.

1. What is a tightly wound solenoid?

A tightly wound solenoid is a type of electromagnetic coil that is tightly wrapped around a cylindrical core. It is typically made up of a conductive wire and is used to create a magnetic field when an electric current is passed through it.

2. How does a tightly wound solenoid work?

When an electric current flows through a tightly wound solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that is strong and uniform along the length of the coil. This magnetic field can be used for various applications, such as in electromagnets, motors, and generators.

3. What materials are used to make a tightly wound solenoid?

The conductive wire used to make a tightly wound solenoid is typically made of copper, aluminum, or other highly conductive materials. The core of the solenoid can be made of iron, steel, or other ferromagnetic materials to enhance the strength of the magnetic field.

4. What are the advantages of using a tightly wound solenoid?

One of the main advantages of a tightly wound solenoid is its ability to create a strong and uniform magnetic field. This makes it useful for a wide range of applications, from industrial machines to medical equipment. Additionally, solenoids are relatively inexpensive to produce and can be easily controlled with an electric current.

5. Can a tightly wound solenoid be used for other purposes besides creating a magnetic field?

Yes, a tightly wound solenoid can also be used as a sensor to detect magnetic fields or as an actuator to convert electrical energy into mechanical motion. It can also be used to control the flow of fluids or gases in a system by using the magnetic field to move a valve or plunger.