Help Solve My Non-Calculus Physics Homework Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses using Gauss's law to prove the magnitude of the electric field inside and outside a sphere of uniform positive charge distribution. The conversation also touches on using Gauss's law in terms of permittivity of free space and reconciling it with Coulomb's law.
liliphys
I have a HW problem for non-calculus based physics that I can't seem to figure out. Please help me if you can:

Consider a sphere of radius R woth a uniform positive charge distribution (rho)=q/V. Using Gauss's law, prove (a) that the magnitude of the electric field outside the spherical volume is E=q/4(pi)(permittivity of free space)r^2= (rho) R^3 / 3 (permittivity of free space)r^2, (b) that the magnitude of the electric field insode the sphere at a distance r from the center is E=(rho)r/(permittivity), (c) compare the results of a and b when r=R.

I have Gauss's law: E(4(pi)r^2=4(pi)koQ and that for r>R, E=ko Q/r^2
and i substituted in (rho)V for Q and 4/3 (pi)r^3 for V and simplified, but this did not prove part A.
And for r<R, Q'=Q(r/R)^3 because the inner sphere encloses a volume 4/3 (pi)r^3 which is (r/R)^3 times the total volume. but this doesn't work out either. And how do i reconcile ko from coulomb with the permittivity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by liliphys
I have Gauss's law: E(4(pi)r^2=4(pi)koQ and that for r>R, E=ko Q/r^2
and i substituted in (rho)V for Q and 4/3 (pi)r^3 for V and simplified, but this did not prove part A.
All you need is Gauss's law. Gauss's law in terms of permitivity of free space (pfs) is:
E*(Area) = Q/(pfs). The area is 4&pi;r2; the volume of charge is 4/3*&pi;R3. This should give you the answer you seek.
And for r<R, Q'=Q(r/R)^3 because the inner sphere encloses a volume 4/3 (pi)r^3 which is (r/R)^3 times the total volume. but this doesn't work out either.
For r<R, use the same idea. The area is 4&pi;r2; the volume of charge is 4/3*&pi;r3. This should work.
And how do i reconcile ko from coulomb with the permittivity?
You don't need to use Coulomb's law, only Gauss's law. But k0 = 1/(4&pi;(pfs)).

First of all, don't worry, I am here to help you solve this problem. Let's start with part A: To prove that the magnitude of the electric field outside the spherical volume is E=q/4(pi)(permittivity of free space)r^2= (rho) R^3 / 3 (permittivity of free space)r^2, we can use Gauss's law. According to Gauss's law, the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. In this case, we have a spherical surface with radius r, outside the spherical volume. Therefore, the electric flux through this surface is given by E(4(pi)r^2)=q/permittivity of free space. Rearranging this equation, we get E=q/4(pi)(permittivity of free space)r^2, which is the desired result.

Moving on to part B: To prove that the magnitude of the electric field inside the sphere at a distance r from the center is E=(rho)r/(permittivity), we can again use Gauss's law. In this case, we have a spherical surface with radius r, inside the spherical volume. Therefore, the electric flux through this surface is given by E(4(pi)r^2)=q'/permittivity of free space, where q' is the charge enclosed by this surface. Now, q' is equal to the charge density (rho) multiplied by the volume enclosed by the surface, which is 4/3 (pi)r^3. Therefore, q'=(rho)(4/3)(pi)r^3. Substituting this value in the equation, we get E(4(pi)r^2)=((rho)(4/3)(pi)r^3)/permittivity of free space. Simplifying this equation, we get E=(rho)r/permittivity of free space, which is the desired result.

Lastly, let's compare the results of part A and B when r=R. In part A, we get E=q/4(pi)(permittivity of free space)R^2. In part B, we get E=(rho)R/permittivity of free space. Now, we know that q=(rho)V, where V is the volume of the sphere. In this case, V=4/3 (pi)R^3. Substituting

1. What is the best approach to solving a non-calculus physics homework problem?

The best approach to solving a non-calculus physics homework problem is to first understand the concepts and principles involved in the problem. This can be achieved by reviewing class notes, textbook readings, and other resources. Then, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and use problem-solving strategies such as drawing diagrams, making assumptions, and using equations to solve each part. Finally, always double check your calculations and answer to ensure accuracy.

2. How can I improve my understanding of non-calculus physics concepts?

One of the best ways to improve your understanding of non-calculus physics concepts is through practice problems. This will not only help you become more familiar with the concepts, but it will also help you identify any areas where you may need more practice. Additionally, attending class lectures, participating in discussions, and seeking help from your professor or peers can also enhance your understanding of the material.

3. What should I do if I get stuck on a non-calculus physics homework problem?

If you get stuck on a non-calculus physics homework problem, don't panic. Take a step back and review the problem and see if you can identify any mistakes or missing information. If you are still unsure, try breaking the problem down into smaller parts and solving each part individually. You can also seek help from your professor, teaching assistant, or classmates to get a different perspective on the problem. It's important to not get discouraged and keep trying until you find the solution.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me with non-calculus physics homework problems?

Yes, there are many online resources available that can help with non-calculus physics homework problems. Some helpful resources include online tutorials, practice problems, and video lectures. Additionally, many textbooks have online resources that can provide step-by-step solutions to practice problems. It's important to use these resources as a supplement to your learning and not rely on them entirely.

5. What should I do if I still can't solve my non-calculus physics homework problem?

If you are still unable to solve your non-calculus physics homework problem, don't hesitate to seek help from your professor or teaching assistant. They are there to assist you and can provide clarification or guidance on how to approach the problem. Additionally, you can reach out to classmates or join a study group to work through the problem together. Remember to always ask for help when you need it, and don't be afraid to try different approaches until you find the solution.