Discover the Power: Total Charge and Max Current of a 250AH Car Battery

• Thread starter Magna1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the battery has a rating of 250AH and can provide 250 Amp-Hours of charging or it can provide that amount of charge in 1 hour at a current of 250 Amps. The battery can also provide 20.83333 Amp@5min.
Magna1
A battery has a rating of 250AH What is the total amount of charge this battery can supply to a cct? And What is the max current this battery can provicde for 5 min?
I don't know what formula's to use?
I have C=QV I=q/t
but I don't which ones to use or even worse where to apply for these

Physics news on Phys.org
I assume that "AH" is Amp-Hour, which means that the battery can provide: 250 Amp-Hours of charging. By definition, 1 Ampere is 1 Coulomb of charge per second. So how much charge does a 1 Amp current provide in 1 Hour? In 250 hours?

That 250 AH can be delivered over 250 hours (at a current of 1 Amp) or it can be delivered in 1 hours (at 250 Amps). (The greater the current, the quicker you use up the battery.) So what's the maximum current it can deliver for 5 minutes?

Lets see If I got this right

250 AH/60min = A/min x 5min= Amp@5min=20.83333 But 1c x 300secs= ? This again is a sticky point. What is the charge in Coulombs? Do I multiply 20.833 by something?
Am I at least on the right train of thought?

Originally posted by Magna1
250 AH/60min = A/min x 5min= Amp@5min=20.83333 But 1c x 300secs= ? This again is a sticky point. What is the charge in Coulombs? Do I multiply 20.833 by something?
Am I at least on the right train of thought?
Separate the two problems. First find the total charge delivered by the battery:
Q = 250AH = 250 Amp-Hours = 250 (Coulombs/sec)Hours(3600 sec/hour) = ??

You take it from here.

For the second problem, realize that 5 minutes is 1/12 of an hour.

In that case 250AH x 3600=900 000 Then 900 000/300= 3000 A is the answer to the max current?

I think that this is what you were talking about ... yes?

Originally posted by Magna1
In that case 250AH x 3600=900 000 Then 900 000/300= 3000 A is the answer to the max current?
Excellent. You found the total charge that the battery could supply (Q = 900 000 C), then used I = Q/t to find the max current. Perfect.

Originally posted by Doc Al
Excellent. You found the total charge that the battery could supply (Q = 900 000 C), then used I = Q/t to find the max current. Perfect.

Now it's time to bring in the Ragone (spelling may be incorrect) plot. :wink:

Originally posted by NateTG
Now it's time to bring in the Ragone (spelling may be incorrect) plot. :wink:
I think it best if we just skip over that one, NateTG.

1. What is the difference between total charge and max current?

The total charge of a 250AH car battery refers to the total amount of electrical energy that the battery can store. This is measured in ampere-hours (AH). On the other hand, the max current of a battery refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that the battery can provide at a given time. This is measured in amperes (A) and is important for starting the car and powering its electrical components.

2. How is the total charge and max current of a car battery determined?

The total charge and max current of a car battery are determined by its physical properties, such as the size and number of lead plates, as well as its chemical composition. These factors determine the battery's capacity and ability to deliver current.

3. Is the total charge and max current of a car battery the same for all 250AH batteries?

No, the total charge and max current of a car battery can vary depending on the brand, age, and condition of the battery. Additionally, some batteries may have a higher capacity or current output due to technological advancements or different manufacturing processes.

4. How does the total charge and max current of a car battery affect its performance?

The total charge of a car battery determines how long it can provide electrical power before needing to be recharged. The max current affects the battery's ability to start the car and power its electrical systems. A higher total charge and max current can result in better performance and longer battery life.

5. Can the total charge and max current of a car battery be increased?

No, the total charge and max current of a car battery are fixed properties and cannot be increased. However, proper maintenance and charging practices can help maintain the battery's performance and prolong its lifespan.