What Makes a Pigment Blue?

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
In summary: This is because when light hits the metal, the loose electrons scatter the light in all directions and it ends up reflecting off the surface of the metal.
aychamo
Hey guys

Something in my microbiology class today got me thinking.

What is color? I mean, I'm writing this on my laptop computer, and the area around my keyboard is blue. But why is it blue? I know that it is plastic that is dyed blue, so there exists some type of blue pigment on the plastic, but I don't understand what makes a pigment blue.

I mean, at a basic level, everything is just atoms, right? What is it about a certain group of atoms that gives it a particular color?

I figure it has to do something about which wavelenghts of light it absorbs and which ones it reflects, but any more than that I don't understand or have knowledge of.

Thank you
AYCHAMO

Physics news on Phys.org
your desk is blue because that's mainly the only colour it doesn't absorb. meaning the blue colour gets reflected to your eye.

And to be even more specific, a particular substance will absorb light if the atoms in the substance have an electron energy level available near the photon's energy, or if the molecules have a vibrational or rotational mode available near the photon's energy.

The constituent atoms, and the way they are connected in molecules, determines which colors of light a substance can absorb.

- Warren

Is there any relation to an elements color and its position in the periodic table, across the rows of the different quantum levels?

Like the example they give for the excited state of an atom, when it absorbs a wavelength of light and it excites an electron to jump up a quantum level, since the atom absorbs that wavelength of light, would that give the atom a color because of the absence of that particular wavelength of light throughout the visible spectrum?

Originally posted by aychamo
Is there any relation to an elements color and its position in the periodic table, across the rows of the different quantum levels?

Like the example they give for the excited state of an atom, when it absorbs a wavelength of light and it excites an electron to jump up a quantum level, since the atom absorbs that wavelength of light, would that give the atom a color because of the absence of that particular wavelength of light throughout the visible spectrum?

Not in the sense that you mean it. There is a relationship between the make up of an atom and the and the color of the flame when an element is burned, but when "absorbing and re-emitting" a photon the color of the absorbed and emitted photon will be the same.

Additionally, "metals"- those elements with a lot of "loose" electrons will appear shiny.

What is a pigment?

A pigment is a substance that gives color to another material. It can be natural or synthetic and is used in a variety of applications, including paints, inks, and plastics.

How is a pigment blue created?

Pigment blue is created by mixing a blue dye with a white pigment or by chemically altering a white pigment to produce a blue color. The exact process depends on the specific type of pigment being created.

What gives a pigment blue its color?

The color of a pigment comes from its chemical structure and the way it interacts with light. In the case of blue pigments, the chemical structure absorbs most of the visible light spectrum except for blue wavelengths, which are reflected and give the pigment its color.

What makes a pigment blue more or less vibrant?

The vibrancy of a pigment blue depends on its purity and the size of its particles. A pure pigment without any impurities will produce a more vibrant and intense color. Additionally, smaller particles will give a brighter and more saturated color compared to larger particles.

What factors can affect the stability of a pigment blue?

The stability of a pigment blue can be affected by factors such as light, heat, and chemical reactions. Exposure to UV light can cause fading or discoloration, while heat can cause the pigment to break down and lose its color. Certain chemicals or acidic environments can also alter the color of a pigment blue.