Growth at zero gravity and zero light

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of growth of plants and the effects of gravity and sunlight on this process. It also raises the question of what would happen if plants were grown in zero gravity and darkness. The potential impact of photosynthesis on plant growth is also mentioned.
ZeroGravity
Hi Folks
I am not sure if this is the right place to post please helep if you can :

Plants, trees, corn etc. all grow upwards, that is in the oppsite direction of the local gravitational field (here disregarding the effect of the sunlight).
If I grow say wheat on a spinning old fashion record player, in total darkness, I should see the wheat growing in direction of the center, with an angle determined by the angular frequenzy and the distance from the center, I am about to perform that experiment.

I was then wondering if anyone knew what would happen if wheat was grewn in zero gravity AND in darkness ??
Does anyone know of experiments performed ?

Regards
Zero Gravity

Martin

Biology news on Phys.org
It would be hard for photosynthesis to take place in the dark. Plants grow toward the sun in order to gain the energy needed to photosynthesize the light into glucose.

Nautica

During experiment, if the plant is not dependent on photosynthesis, then the tissue growth will probably take place in the direction of the effective force field. You may have to consider Earth's gravity and the electromagnetic field (if any) along with the gyroscopic field on the disc.

1. What happens to plants in zero gravity and zero light?

Plants require both gravity and light for proper growth and development. In zero gravity and zero light conditions, plants will struggle to grow as they are unable to orient themselves towards a light source or use gravity to support their structure.

2. Can plants survive in zero gravity and zero light?

Plants cannot survive for extended periods of time in zero gravity and zero light. While certain plants may be able to survive in low light conditions, they still require some level of gravity to maintain their structure and function.

3. How does zero gravity affect plant growth?

In zero gravity, plant roots are unable to absorb water and nutrients effectively, which can lead to stunted growth or even death. Additionally, without gravity to support their structure, plants may experience structural weakness and be unable to maintain their upright position.

4. Is it possible to grow plants in zero gravity and zero light?

Currently, it is not possible to grow plants in zero gravity and zero light conditions for extended periods of time. However, experiments are being conducted to find ways to simulate gravity and provide artificial light sources to support plant growth in space.

5. How does zero gravity and zero light affect the nutritional value of plants?

The lack of gravity and light in space can lead to changes in the composition of plants, including their nutrient content and flavor. These changes may affect the nutritional value of plants and make it more challenging to grow them in a sustainable and nutritious manner in space.