This problem is driving me crazy

• Thread starter bossalinie786
  • Start date
In summary, the homework problem involves a cart with a mass of 16.9 kg being pulled by a rope at a constant speed on a horizontal surface. The rope is inclined at 28.5 degrees above the horizontal and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the cart and the ground is 0.793. The question asks for the amount of work done on the cart by the rope, and the answer should be in units of joules. To solve this problem, the x component of the rope's force (cosine theta) should be used in the equation W = F*cos(theta)*s. The Friction Force may not be the same as the force of the weight pulled.
bossalinie786
this is one of my homework problems, i have attempted it twice, and the website i submit my homework to tells me it is wrong, here is the question,

A cart loaded with bricks has a total mass of 16.9 kg and is pulled at constant speed by a rope. The rope is inclined at 28.5 degrees above the horizontal and the cart moves 22.2 m on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of kinetic friction between ground and
cart is 0793.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s2 :
How much work is done on the cart by the
rope? Answer in units of J.

since the rope is pulling is cart, and the force and the direction of the work are both going in the direction, then the angle(theta) would be zero? therefore only the x component of the force is needed, i have calculated the Friction Force which to my understand is the same as the force of the weight pulled. then i simply plug it into teh equation W=F*d and I'm not getting it right, can anyone help, it would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Care to show some of your work so far?

cookiemonster

The force of the rope and the work done by the rope are not pointing the same direction. According to the problem, the rope is inclined 28.5 degrees above the horizon and therefore has both an x and y component. The x component of the rope's force (cosine theta) is what points in the same direction as the work. W = F(cos theta)s

Originally posted by bossalinie786
The rope is inclined at 28.5 degrees above the horizontal ...
... the Friction Force ... to my understand is the same as the force of the weight pulled.
Or is it?

1. What steps can I take to solve this problem?

There are a few steps you can take to solve a problem that is driving you crazy. First, try to identify the root cause of the problem. Then, brainstorm possible solutions and evaluate their potential effectiveness. Once you have a few potential solutions, try implementing them one at a time and see if they work. If not, continue trying different solutions until you find one that works.

2. How can I stay calm and focused when dealing with a frustrating problem?

One way to stay calm and focused when dealing with a frustrating problem is to take a step back and take a few deep breaths. This will help you to clear your mind and approach the problem with a more level head. Additionally, break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and tackle them one at a time. This can help prevent you from feeling overwhelmed.

3. Is it okay to ask for help when dealing with a difficult problem?

Absolutely! Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of strength and resourcefulness. Sometimes, a fresh perspective or additional expertise can help solve a problem more efficiently. Don't be afraid to reach out to colleagues, friends, or professionals for assistance when needed.

4. How can I prevent this problem from happening again in the future?

To prevent a problem from happening again in the future, it's important to understand why it occurred in the first place. Reflect on the steps that led to the problem and identify any potential areas for improvement. Then, implement any necessary changes to your processes or habits to avoid encountering the same issue in the future.

5. When is it time to seek professional help for a problem?

If a problem is causing significant distress and impacting your daily life, it may be time to seek professional help. This could include talking to a therapist, seeking advice from a mentor or expert in the field, or attending a workshop or training to learn new problem-solving strategies. It's important to prioritize your mental and emotional well-being and seek help when needed.