Growth of Plants in Zero Gravity

In summary, Martin is wondering what would happen if wheat was grown in zero gravity and darkness, as it is typically known to grow upwards towards the light. He has performed a similar experiment on a spinning record player, but is unsure if it would work without a light source. Another person suggests observing seed gestation in a neutral buoyancy tank. Martin also brings up the interesting question of how plant cells know which direction is up and suggests performing the experiment in zero gravity and zero light to find out.
ZeroGravity
Hi Folks
I am not sure if this is the right place to post but here it comes :

Plants, trees, corn etc. all grow upwards, that is in the oppsite direction of the local gravitational field (here disregarding the effect of the sunlight).
If I grow say wheat on a spinning old fashion record player, in total darkness, I should see the wheat growing in direction of the center, with an angle determined by the angular frequenzy and the distance from the center, I am about to perform that experiment.

I was then wondering if anyone knew what would happen if wheat was grewn in zero gravity AND in darkness ??
Does anyone know of experiments performed ?

Regards
Zero Gravity

Martin

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Plants grow straight up for stability, but they are actually fuller on the southern side due to the greater sunlight.

The turntable experiment would need to be performed with a light source moving with the turntable otherwise the wheat wouldn't grow. And because of that, I'm not sure a zero gravity/zero light experiment would work.

It would be interesting to observe seed gestation while suspended in a tank (zero gravity or neutral boyancy) though.

Hi Russ
Thanks for your comment.
The wheat will grow in zero light, at least for a week or so.
Haven't you done the experiment in primary school, where you seed grass, one in darkness and one in sunlight, observing that the one growing in darkness grows faster, trying to grow up into the light ?

The interresting thing is How does the plant cells know which direction is up ? How do they "feel" the direction og gravity ?
So this brings us back to the experiment in zero gravity / zero light, how would they grow there ?

Regards
Martin

Originally posted by ZeroGravity
The interresting thing is How does the plant cells know which direction is up ? How do they "feel" the direction og gravity ?
So this brings us back to the experiment in zero gravity / zero light, how would they grow there ?

Regards
Martin
If I recall correctly from last year's biology plants don't know which way's up and which way's down. But the plant growth hormone (Axin or something like that) gathers at the bottom of the seed (pulled down by gravity) and that causes the plant to "know" which way's up. The plants roots then grow where the most concentration of the hormone was and its stalk where there was less of the hormone.

1. How do plants grow in zero gravity?

Plants are able to grow in zero gravity due to a phenomenon known as phototropism. This is the process by which plants are able to sense and respond to light. In zero gravity, plants will still grow towards the light source, even if it is not coming from the top. This allows them to continue their normal growth patterns.

2. Do plants grow differently in zero gravity?

Yes, plants do grow differently in zero gravity. Without the force of gravity, plants will grow in a more disorganized manner and may appear more fragile. However, they are still able to grow and develop normally as long as they are provided with light, water, and nutrients.

3. Can plants survive long-term in zero gravity?

Yes, some plants have been shown to survive and thrive in zero gravity for extended periods of time, such as on space missions. However, the lack of gravity can have negative effects on plants, such as reduced water and nutrient uptake, which may affect their long-term viability.

4. How does zero gravity affect the growth of different types of plants?

Different types of plants may respond differently to zero gravity. For example, plants that rely on gravity for structural support may have a harder time growing in zero gravity. However, plants that grow by climbing or twining may adapt well to the lack of gravity. Further research is needed to fully understand the effects of zero gravity on different plant species.

5. Can plants be grown in zero gravity for food production?

Yes, plants can potentially be grown in zero gravity for food production. NASA has conducted experiments on growing plants in space and some have been successful in producing edible crops. However, there are still challenges to overcome, such as developing efficient systems for providing water and nutrients, as well as managing the effects of zero gravity on plant growth.