How do movies portray violence?

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Movies
In summary: summary, large loft-style apartments in new york city are well within the price range of most people- whether they are employed or not; at least one of a pair of identical twins is born evil; should you decide to defuse a bomb, don't worry which wire to cut. you will always choose the right one. most laptop computers are powerful enough to override the communications system of any invading alien society; it does not matter if you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts: your enemies will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around in a threatening manner until you have knocked out their predecessors; when you turn out the light to go to bed, everything in your bedroom will still be clearly visible, just slightly bl
**Hero** walks/runs into factory...turns on every single machine in the place, using the light switch on the wall...**hero** runs ...

Physics news on Phys.org
On the side of the good guys, there is ALWAYS one seasoned veteran of the field. And he has a deep/gravelly voice. Or he is muscle-bound.

Originally posted by jimmy p
On the side of the good guys, there is ALWAYS one seasoned veteran of the field. And he has a deep/gravelly voice. Or he is muscle-bound.
Thereby (and/or for) ripping his shirt...

loool...funny...i got one tho.

As the victim is running at high increasing speeds, the attacker always seems to catch up even tho he's walking

Dont know if this fits?..but when a movie is hyped up by a preceeding trailer, then all hardened Male Students will develop a misgiuded interpretation of the said film when they accompany a female Student where the Female insists that the film is one of the greatest love Stories ever?

Example TITANIC the leonado-de-capio one, during the first couple of weeks a number of Students who I conversed with about many things(as you do in UNI) kept nagging me to go and see Titanic (apparently by the fourth week in the UK I was probably one of the single figure persons who had not seen the film!..anyway another month went by and Students were going to see the film more or less every single evening, still they were explaining the theme 'LOVE' and the story of the film to me, anyways I promised that I would go and see it whilst on Holiday in Canada. Upon my return, I WAS FLOCKED BY STUDENTS wanting my opinion..you know the Sloppy Love story!..wasnt it fantastic?

They were dismayed when I stated that the whole theme that was threaded through the film was not Love as such, it was about DREAMS.

I explained that the whole film revolved around ROSE actually living the Dream that was promised to her by leonardo (Jack) and the underlaying message of the film was Dreams can fall by the wayside, if you are not being true to your own Dreams and not say of your Parents wishes (Rose's mother dreamt of her Daughter marrying into money)
Titanic ( The Ship of Dreams-later Sank!) actually Titanic itself was Hyped to the Status of Unsinkable!

Steerage Class Victims (were all dreaming of AMERICA-new life-The American Dream)

After surviving Rose went out and did all the things Jack Promised they would do when they arrived in America (Rose always took the photographic evidence -Horseriding etc..etc with her when travelling-keeping the Dream alive?)

The reference's are thick and fast(sometime a little to fast for students!) throughout the film Dream sequence's..Dream of the Ocean..ROSE in later part of the film actually die's in a/her Dream.

Anyway..the following evening the whole lot of Students went and seen the film now taking with them a 'de-briefing' of the seminar Igave them on my personal take on the movie, most of the male Students later stated that they were quote: Sidetracked?.. by Hype and their Female companions, and under normal curvamstances they would have easily spotted the obvious 'hidden thread woven throught the film'!

After they seen the film umpteen times?..I doubt it! ;)

The film quotes the words Dreams umpteen times, the word Love does not hardly get a mention, listen for yourself next time you see it thing Love..make Students

Last edited:
lol that is just human nature to not be wrong, i work in a bookies and every time one of the customers makes a mistake on his bets, he blames his wife or says its one that his wife has written out!

Anyway that's a good point nonetheless ranyart.

Keep posting!

lol that is just human nature to not be wrong, i work in a bookies and every time one of the customers makes a mistake on his bets, he blames his wife or says its one that his wife has written out!

Anyway that's a good point nonetheless ranyart.

Keep posting!

Of course! Human nature means that we are no way perfect. Some of the STudents actually thanked me for pointing out some of their own failings( for whatever reasons?..maybe the male/female proximity got the better of them:wink: But nevertheless, they sure as hell don't go to any Films with a pre-concepting view now?

I should actually say that one of the Students gave me a fantastic book as a direct result of our conversations-The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho..and I am more the wiser for reading it..and forever greatful.

Last edited:
Humm, if movie trailers are open game too...

*clears throat to get grizzly, deep, ominous tone*

IN A WORLD...

WHERE (vaguely describe ridiculously dire/ominous/problematic circumstances)...

AND (further describe circumstances)...

ONE MAN (describe how ONE MAN is miraculously facing up to the impossible odds)...

COMING THIS (insert appropriate season/month)...

(insert actor name) IS... (insert movie title)

RATED Rrrr...

example:

IN A WORLD...

WHERE TIME IS RUNNING OUT...

AND BETRAYAL IS A WAY OF LIFE...

ONE MAN... WILL FIGHT FOR JUSTICE...

COMING THIS WINTER...

PAULY SHORE IS... NINJA WEAPON.

RATED Rrrrr...

LOL Hynagogue, that's great!

When on the run in a middle eastern country, it is customary to be chased through a market scene, where people are jostled, chicken cages are knocked over, and carts full of spices and chillis are tipped.

Most detectives in films can afford flash cars...on what pay?? (especially if they are always getting suspended!)

In most films when there is a party of people, at least one woman is present and she NEVER dies. If there are two, the least attractive one usually chokes it.

When on the run in a middle eastern country, it is customary to be chased through a market scene, where people are jostled, chicken cages are knocked over, and carts full of spices and chillis are tipped.

Also when you are in a power plant in a foriegn country it is normal for terrorists to find out of your existence and try to wipe you out, forcing you to blow up the power plant (either that or they destroy the world), save the pretty foriegn technician, and lift off on a helicopter while being shot at from several directions by nameless, faceless terrorists.

Of course, the helicopter that you have taken comes with a front-mounted XM-214 minigun and dumbbell missles. Take out the enemies, fly back home, and become hero of the world.

Movies are so realistic hehe.

Hypnagogue, that's hillarious!

And just how many movies either begin, or end, with the (Now proverbial) "Ambulance scene" Hero/Heroine child/husband/wife taken away from/to scene of urgent need, now fulfilled...

Like this??...

IN A WORLD OF THE PF FORUMS...

WHERE THREADS ARE RUNNING WILD...

AND BANDWIDTH IS WIDENING THE ECONOMIC GAPS...

ONE MAN... WILL POST HIS WAY TO NIRVANA

COMING, THIS WINTER/SPRING/SUMMER/FALL...

"SUPERPOSTERBOY"

RATED AAAAHHRRRRRrrrrggggggggGGGGGGGGGYA!...

This 'prequel' is the sequel, to the introductory story, that was the precept of the intial concept, that started the story line, that produced the ensuing sequels, that sequentially will follow the prequel that had had placement, prior, to the pre-pre-prequels introductory introduction, back before it began...

LOL MRP

Whenever is bad guy is shot/killed they die instantly. If a good person is shot/killed then they are dying for about 5 minutes where they manage to tell the *HERO* their life story and any secret plans.

*MAJOR ANNOYANCE FACTOR*

The last MATRIX film (sorry if you haven't seen it) where Trinity is skewered on tons of sharp objects, but manages to bang on for about 10 minutes about how much she loves Neo. Most people would have been dead almost instantly.

Only bad people smoke.

spoken by Mulder in the X-Files
That black lunged bastard!

Heroic men never have sissy names, they are always something like Kurt or Bruce...never Geoffrey or Douglas.

Heroic men never have sissy names, they are always something like Kurt or Bruce...never Geoffrey or Douglas.
And SUE!

All explosions are (always) Huge fireballs, especially if in Outer Space where the Noise they make, is Stupendous! MMX

LOL MRP

Whenever is bad guy is shot/killed they die instantly. If a good person is shot/killed then they are dying for about 5 minutes where they manage to tell the *HERO* their life story and any secret plans.

*MAJOR ANNOYANCE FACTOR*

The last MATRIX film (sorry if you haven't seen it) where Trinity is skewered on tons of sharp objects, but manages to bang on for about 10 minutes about how much she loves Neo. Most people would have been dead almost instantly.

What annoyed me about Trinity's death scene was that her dying wish was to be kissed by Neo, and quite a long one at that too! Just about everything else in that movie was god-awlful.