The energy of pair creation

It's all energy. So the short answer is when you increase the speed of a particle you are not increasing it's mass but it's kinetic energy. And we happen to find that energy and mass are equivalent, so in that sense you may say it's gaining mass. But it's not the mass that resist acceleration. It's just pure energy that happens to have a mass equivant.In summary, The concept of mass and energy equivalence is the result of Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. This equation shows that mass and energy are interchangeable and that rest mass is just one form of energy. This has been verified through various experiments, including pair creation in particle accelerators. When particles are created through pair creation, they possess
carl fischbach
It seems rather odd to me energy mass equivalancy
of pair creation would be the same as for the
the energy mass equivalancy of direct conversion of
energy to mass with increased velocity.
In the first case you are not only creating
mass but you are also creating particles.In the
the second case you are only losing or gaining
mass and not creating particles, any thoughts on
this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well Einstein sort of make an intellectual leap when he proposed that mass was simply a form of energy. He had found the equation:

[tex]E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4[/tex]

And he saw that when momentum is 0, the energy is [itex]mc^2[/itex]. So it shows that rest mass is also a part of the energy. So mass and energy must be equivalent.

Anyway, I know I haven't really answered your question. It is rather odd that the same formula is used. However, keep in mind that this formula has been verified in particle accelerators over and over, including for pair creation. So it's true :smile:

Are you asserting that there exist mass that is not connected with particles? What, exactly, are your definitions of "particle" and "mass"?

particles and mass

What I am saying is the energy of creating a
particle exactly equivalent to it's mass or is
the energy of bringing a particle into existence with
it's properties different,no matter how small,
than the mass it posesses?

Originally posted by carl fischbach

Why does it seem odd to you when Conservation of Energy requires it?

this. [/B]

Carl-
I think you if you use the most fundamental definition of mass you will avoid such conundrums.

Mass is most simply defined as "resistance to acceleration".
Thus in the first case (pair creation), you are creating particles that have the property of 'resisting acceleration'. In the second case, by increasing velocity you are merely increasing the 'resistance to acceleration'. The origin of mass (resistance to acceleration) has never been specified. As such mass becomes quite independent of the particles themselves.

Creator

Last edited:
Originally posted by carl fischbach
this.

I think what you are confused about is that when a particle travels at high speed, its energy is:
[tex]E=\gamma m c^2[/tex]
and when it's at rest, it's
[tex]E=mc^2[/tex]
So, it seems as if when a particle travel at high speed, energy is now in some form of mass. I always think this interpreation is not appropriate. Mass is mass. Like proper length, you can only measure it realistically if you are in the particle's rest frame (i.e. there is only such thing as rest mass, no so call relativistic mass). As you gain speed, you don't gain mass, you gain kinetic energy. And the total energy is given by:
[tex]E^2=m^2c^4+p^2c^2[/tex]
Where the second term is the kinetic energy term with:
[tex]p=\gamma m v[/tex]
So we should just say that the theory of Special Relativity gives a different definition of momentum as a function of velocity as does the old Newtonian theory (p=mv).

I think the reason they defined relativistic mass [tex]m'=\gamma m[/tex] is that the new relativistic formula for total energy E as a function of v goes to infinity as v goes to the speed of light. So as your speed become closer and closer to the speed of light, you need more energy to increase your speed (in order to conserver energy). And this is perceived as a gain in mass (the ability of resist change in motion). I don't think I have a well-sounded argument again this, but I just don't like this interpretation. Because it makes it sound as if you can gain mass by simply gaining speed. Mass is a scalar and should be invariant under frame transformation.

I think the short answer to your question is: when a massive particle travel at high speed, it DOES NOT gain mass. It gain kinetic energy just like it does classically (though the formula is different). However we also find that energy and mass are equivalent, in the sense that such reaction as [tex]\gamma+\gamma \arrow e^++e^-[/tex]happens and creates two particle out of two...shall we say...pockets of energy. So energy-mass equivalent is no more than conservation of energy. Where as the other kind of "mass", the so call relativistic mass you are talking about is not mass at all.

Last edited:

What is pair creation?

Pair creation is a process in which a particle and its antiparticle are produced from a high-energy photon, such as a gamma ray. This process is governed by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, where a high enough energy can be converted into matter.

How does pair creation occur?

Pair creation can occur spontaneously in the presence of a strong electric field, where the energy of the field is converted into a pair of particles. It can also occur in high-energy collisions, such as those that happen in particle accelerators.

What is the role of energy in pair creation?

The energy of the photon is crucial in the process of pair creation. The photon must have enough energy to create the mass of the new particles, according to Einstein's equation E=mc^2. The energy also plays a role in determining the types of particles produced.

What are the implications of pair creation in the field of physics?

Pair creation is an important process in the study of particle physics. It helps us understand the relationship between energy and matter, and the nature of antimatter. It also has practical applications, such as in medical imaging and cancer treatment.

Can pair creation be observed in everyday life?

No, pair creation is a highly specialized process that requires extremely high energies. It can only be observed in certain situations, such as in particle accelerators or in the presence of a strong electric field. It is not something that can be observed in everyday life.