Lie-detector glasses:Air Force tests 90% accurate

• Thread starter mouseonmoon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, a U.S. company has developed lie-detector glasses that use technology developed in Israel and can detect if a person is lying in real-time. The glasses have achieved better than 90 percent accuracy in beta tests and are being marketed for personal and corporate use. The company demonstrated the glasses at the 2004 International CES and has even analyzed the voices of celebrities like Michael Jackson to determine if they are lying. The potential for this technology is vast, including the ability to have voiced forums and even watch the State of the Union address in "true living color." However, there are doubts about the accuracy of traditional polygraphs and the true reliability of this new technology remains to be seen.
mouseonmoon
http://www.eetimes.com/story/OEG20040116S0050

_
Lie-detector glasses offer peek at future of security
By R. Colin Johnson

EE Times
January 16, 2004 (2:05 p.m. ET)

_

Portland, Ore. — It may not be long before you hear airport security screeners ask, "Do you plan on hijacking this plane?" A U.S. company using technology developed in Israel is pitching a lie detector small enough to fit in the eyeglasses of law enforcement officers, and its inventors say it can tell whether a passenger is a terrorist by analyzing his answer to that simple question in real-time.

The technology, developed by mathematician Amir Lieberman at Nemesysco in Zuran, Israel, for military, insurance claim and law enforcement use, is being repackaged and retargeted for personal and corporate applications

...better than 90 percent accuracy against real criminal subjects at a beta test site at the U.S. Air Force's Rome Laboratories.

...a state police agency in the Midwest found the lie detector 89 percent accurate, compared with 83 percent for a traditional polygraph.

The company showed plain sunglasses outfitted with the technology at the 2004 International CES in Las Vegas earlier this month. The system used green, yellow and red color codes to indicate a "true," "maybe" or "false" response.

...analyzed the voices of celebrities like Michael Jackson to determine whether they were lying.

======
and imagine this, when available for the public, folks wil be able to watch the State of the Union address in 'true living color'!

quite a story here ...but i personally don't believe the polygraph is "83%" accurate==far as I'm concerned it's been 'debunked',
about as accurate as yur average psychic!

cheers! Do you love me? my software knows!

and imagine this-one day these forums will be 'voiced'--what i mean is, we won't have to type-we'll just speak into our computers-and we'll be able to hear the person's post! and liars will be 'blocked'...and furthermore, then we'll be able to pick up on those 'nuances' in the voice that are 'hidden' in the written words--

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey mouseonmoon,
I already posted this story in the technology section.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13037

Since this comes from a good source - the EE Times - I think the Technology forum is more appropriate. Of course, this could be a bogus claim aimed at investors so who knows? I may need to reverse my position...

Keep the posts coming!

Thanks. :wink:

so we'll really know if someone is telling the truth or not!

It is certainly interesting to consider the potential uses of lie-detector glasses, especially in the realm of security and law enforcement. However, it is important to approach this technology with a critical eye and consider its potential limitations and ethical implications.

While the reported 90% accuracy rate is certainly impressive, it is important to note that this was in a controlled environment with trained individuals. It may not be as accurate in real-life situations with a diverse range of people and factors at play. Additionally, the use of this technology raises concerns about privacy and the potential for false accusations based on the results of the lie detector.

Furthermore, the idea of using this technology for personal and corporate applications, such as determining if someone loves you or if they are telling the truth in a business negotiation, raises ethical questions about the invasion of privacy and reliance on technology rather than human judgement.

In conclusion, while lie-detector glasses may offer some benefits in certain situations, it is important to approach this technology with caution and consider its potential limitations and ethical implications.

1. How do lie-detector glasses work?

Lie-detector glasses use technology called Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) to track the eye movements of a person being questioned. The glasses can detect when the person's eyes are moving rapidly, which may indicate they are lying.

2. Are lie-detector glasses accurate?

The Air Force tests have shown that the lie-detector glasses are approximately 90% accurate. However, this accuracy may vary depending on the individual and their ability to control their eye movements.

3. Can lie-detector glasses be fooled or manipulated?

Like any technology, lie-detector glasses can be manipulated or fooled. Some individuals may be able to control their eye movements or wear sunglasses to obstruct the glasses' view. Additionally, the glasses may not work as well if the person being questioned has a medical condition that affects their eye movements.

4. What are the potential uses for lie-detector glasses?

Lie-detector glasses could potentially be used in various settings, such as law enforcement, job interviews, or interrogations. They could also be used in clinical settings to detect deception in patients. However, more research is needed to determine the effectiveness and ethical implications of using this technology.

5. Are lie-detector glasses admissible in court?

Currently, lie-detector glasses are not admissible as evidence in court. However, they may be used as a tool to gather information and further investigate a case. The use of this technology in legal settings is still being debated and would require further research and development to be considered reliable evidence.